SaltCritters.com

cdalmost's Overpowered Picotope

cdalmost

This tank didn't work out the way I would have liked. After a short period of growth, all of the corals slowly deteriorated until they were dead. I believe there are several factors behind the failure of this tank.

1. Insufficient breaking-in period with dry rock,
  2. Large swings in pH caused by topping up with Kalkwasser,
  3. Too much light too soon, and
  4. Trying to keep difficult corals in a new tank.

I originally set up the tank with "dead" rock and no sand, with a few small pieces of live rock from my other tank. This probably brought an insufficient amount of beneficial life to the aquarium, leading to a barren tank unsuitable for growth. I should have started, at least, with an inch of live sand from my other tank. It is possible that there were dead sponges on the dry rock that decayed, causing some problems as well. Waiting more than a few weeks before adding corals would have been prudent.

As I had originally planned, I kept the tank topped up by dripping Kalkwasser, slowly, all day long. This probably kept the tank at a pH outside and above the normal range. Further, the vinegar likely didn't help anything, as the bacteria that metabolize it would be a significant drain on the oxygen in the tank. (See threads on vodka dosing for other potential problems). Topping off with plain water and using a 2-part solution to maintain the alkalinity would have been best.

I think the 70W metal halide could have been made to work. The temperature in the tank did not fluctuate greatly from day to night, and while the corals were growing, they did look happen. I believe it was mostly the chemical problems that got to them. However, I should have had it mounted much higher from the beginning: 12"-14" instead of 8"-10". One Pocillopora colony that I tried to move in from my other tank definitely suffered some light shock, but an Acropora frag from a friend's SPS tank did fine.

Finally, being my first pico, I should have aimed a bit lower and kept some of the less demanding species. If I were to redo the tank then I would make the changes I mentioned above, and instead try to keep colonies of light-loving Zoas, Montipora digitata, and perhaps some frags of hardy Acropora from friend's tanks. However, I will not be redoing this tank, and instead will be setting up a much bigger tank using the knowledge I've gained setting up this one. :happy:

Mr. Microscope

Sorry to hear about your loss, but thank you for this report. I found it very educational and I'm sure others will benefit from it as well. Good luck on your future endeavors in reefing!

Archived