SaltCritters.com

Think I might have killed almost everything in the tank

cjscott

So I have had my 20l frag tank set up for about a year. On Thursday morning I put my hob modded AC110 on the back and without thinking filled up the large chamber with fresh water. On Saturday night when I went to check on the tank(I know this is a long time but it is in my daughters room and I have been way too busy at work) all of my corals look like crap. You can see the skeletons of the acans, my frogspawn is all sucked back into the stalk, all my zoas and palys are shriveled and closed up, and my turbo snail looks like it kicked the bucket. My algae blenny is still swimming around happy though. I thought maybe adding all the fresh water messed with the salinity so I checked the salinity and it was down to 1.018. I brought it up to just under 1.022 but didn't want to swing it too much to quickly. So today the frogspawn looks a little better but zoas are still shriveled and the acans still seems to be receding. Please help me.

Try topping off with SW instead of FW til you get the salinity back up to normal levels.

Remove dead corals.

Add carbon or something similar if you don't already have some in there.

Corals that are stressed/receded but not dead could be given an iodine dip--

1 cup tankwater

1 drop lugol's iodine

3 mins

Good luck.

Sorry to hear that...

+1 on topping off with SW till you get your SG up. Have you checked your other water params? If some of the corals died you may see some spikes. I'd also do some regular small daily water changes to make sure the water quality doesn't deteriate as well.

ionno, but with my 20g, i top off manually and sometimes its about 2 gallons at a time. Corals are fine and everything else is fine too.

my advice is to put less stress on already stressed coral by keeping salinity constant as of now and doing more water changes then before. That would probably bring them back to life. I know a person who keeps his salinity at .21 and .18 isn't much different. Its just low, but i don't see why corals would die within couple days in that salt level.

Archived