inTank Media Baskets

Why you need a quality test kit....

Walking_Target

Walking_Target

Since I started my nano reef, i've been using a Hagen GH/KH test kit.

Why? it's what my employer stocks in the "store use" cupboard, and therefore it is free for me to use. My Ca level was measured by an API kit, as I had to buy that myself, as most of all of my other values.

I'd already acertained that the API kit measured low by 20ppm by testing it against a Salifert kit with my local SW guy.

Well, i broke down and bought my own Salifert Alk kit two days ago. I had noted that the kit I was using at work was only measuring 6-7dKH, even when I was sure it was supposed to be much higher.

Well, I tested my salt mix against the new kit, expecting to see around 6-8dkh, as it's IO and supposedly the old stuff.... I was shocked to find that value was 11.2dkh, which means it *is* the new stuff and that my tank is using up Ca at a better pace than I thought. I never tested the Ca level of this bucket of salt, only the alk, so I assumed that it was the old stuff and mixed up between 360-380ppm, and dosed accordingly. After this testing and testing the Ca values, i found that my LPS and coralline algae are using up about 60ppm worth of Ca every 6 days :D

Salifert test kit FTW

Since I started my nano reef, i've been using a Hagen GH/KH test kit.

Why? it's what my employer stocks in the "store use" cupboard, and therefore it is free for me to use. My Ca level was measured by an API kit, as I had to buy that myself, as most of all of my other values.

I'd already acertained that the API kit measured low by 20ppm by testing it against a Salifert kit with my local SW guy.

Well, i broke down and bought my own Salifert Alk kit two days ago. I had noted that the kit I was using at work was only measuring 6-7dKH, even when I was sure it was supposed to be much higher.

Well, I tested my salt mix against the new kit, expecting to see around 6-8dkh, as it's IO and supposedly the old stuff.... I was shocked to find that value was 11.2dkh, which means it *is* the new stuff and that my tank is using up Ca at a better pace than I thought. I never tested the Ca level of this bucket of salt, only the alk, so I assumed that it was the old stuff and mixed up between 360-380ppm, and dosed accordingly. After this testing and testing the Ca values, i found that my LPS and coralline algae are using up about 60ppm worth of Ca every 6 days :D

Salifert test kit FTW

this is just anecdotal, but i know that Becact was having trouble with his Salifert Alk test reading too high, and that led to him losing some corals.

you might want to check it against a 3rd type/brand of test kit just to be sure that it's not the Salifert that's off.

Archived