ReefCleaners.org

Qwiv's Nano 180 2x

Qwiv

Tagging along here. I like the LED lighting discussion and all but am really intrigued by your design of putting these two tanks back to back and how all of the logistics of cords, filtering, pumping, overflowing etc. etc will work.

Tagging along here. I like the LED lighting discussion and all but am really intrigued by your design of putting these two tanks back to back and how all of the logistics of cords, filtering, pumping, overflowing etc. etc will work.

I'm working on it. Basically going to drill the back walls of both tanks and connect with a bulk head. Will need to fabricate a jig so the holes line up perfect. Rubber washer on each side of bulk head, silicone between the two sheets of glass around bulk head. I don't need the tanks to be removable and siliconing the tanks together will make them easier to move. There will be an overflow on the reef side at the bulk head, covered by the rock wall, also making a chamber for a circulation pump.

On the MPT side, there will also be a rock wall to hold the heater and return pump. Possibly a second circulation pump. Going to try and incorporate a media chamber in the rock wall as well on either the Reef or MPT side. Will see how space goes.

The cables will drape along the side of the tank at the back. There isn't enough room between the tanks to run them, and even if you squeezed them in, you would never get them out again. I'm working on a way to trim them out. That is why I hate how big the tiny mirco-jets cables are.

Fabricated the overflow tonight.

4386936508_ea55fe908e.jpg

I didn't spend a lot of time on it since the rock wall will cover it up.

it is about the size of a maxi-jet body. Doesn't need to be big as in only needs to handle about 100 gph.

Was also testing out the reef keeper lite. Cool little box. It took me a while to figure out how to program it because all my other controllers are from Neptune Systems, which have a better interface I think.

I like that it shows the amount of electricity being used. With everything going (excluding heater) I am using about a third of an amp on the reef tank side. Not bad. That is probably 40 watts or so.

Still working on the layout of the rock wall frame, but that will be the next project.

Dude, I had to be on RC to find this. Awesome work so far. Make sure you add it to the DIY LED Project List once all is done.

Yes sir Dr. Evil... since the LED portion is done, I'll add it now.

PS, You never really helped me directly, but your help to others has made it my way and was a help to me as well.

So I got a little work done today. I drilled the holes for the overflow in both tanks. Temporary install of the bulk head shows that the holes line up. Most excellent. I also have the preliminary egg crate structure made. I wanted to test that all the equipment fits. I'll be modifying it as I figure out the rock/foam.

4393203155_a7ae62a137.jpg

4393201337_c0c50ed652.jpg

Here is the bulk head through both panes of glass. They line up great.

Here is how made a guide to prevent the glass hole saw from wandering all over. Anyone who has drilled glass before knows how difficult it is to get the hole right where you want it because the bit wanders a lot.

I needed these holes almost dead on, so a template was required to hold it steady.

4393202137_5eb19221f5.jpg

First I used plumbers putty to make a dam around the hole location. You can see in the background a piece of acrylic with a hole already cut in it. The hole is the same size as the glass bit.

4393203687_d05f706080.jpg

I then put the acrylic template over the putty and aligned with my hole layout. Added another putty dam and started drilling. The acrylic held the bit right where I wanted it and didn't wander. Perfect!

4393201959_66c8786da8.jpg

I'll post the pix of the rock wall frame tomorrow as I need to get ready to go out.

Have a great weekend all!

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry I haven't posted in a while. The project is still going full steam ahead, I have just been aqauscaping and that takes me a while.

I got the egg crate structure built for both tanks.

4393968226_39a668a4d2.jpg

Reef Side

4393202447_2a98a1cbb8.jpg

MPT Side

Here are the tanks back to back;

4393202981_ce80ee1e3c.jpg

You can see the overflow I made. It isn't glued in yet.

4393970558_e18d367089.jpg

And just the overflow and heater.

Here is a FTS

4393202789_d12e0dff9e.jpg

All the equipment is in the tank and everything fits.

Picked this up at the LFS

4396025381_21932c4a9f.jpg

Going to use it on the rock wall on the MPT. I feel bad cutting it all up. It is very pretty as one piece.

Here is a horrible call phone shot of the foam work so far.

4416477536_b082daf538.jpg

It looks a lot nicer in person. You can see I decided to carve the foam to make it look more like LR. I left on piece in the middle uncarved for comparison. It looks a lot better carves, especially in a nano. If it was a big tank, I would not care so much, but in a nano, all the small details really show. Will post better foam pix when I get a shot in the sun.

• 2 weeks later...

Il get some work done this weekend. Been layer up with a busted back/hip for 2 weeks. Been laying on the floor most of the time. Ready to rock this weekend and will have time because my gf is in Mexico for a week.

• 2 months later...

Sorry, my work has kept me really busy lately and I stalled. She is still sitting on my work bench, ready to go. I am almost done turning over a new corporate campus for a silicon valley tech firm and will get some time once we get occupancy in the last building.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
How about some updates now? I am glad I found your build.

Sorry. Few locals have wanted me to do builds for them. Took a lot of time. Just set up my new 50 gal and will start this up again when the 50 is all settled.

Still love this tank

Archived