Coral Vue Hydros

Coralife mini compact 50/50 light?

jmdakan

Has any one used these. Do they work on small tanks, 6 gallon or so? Want to keep mushrooms and Xenia in a Nano for my fiance. Do they put off to much heat? Thanks.

Search for dillinger = parrot

Gee, looks like you had enough time to post, why couldn't you have taken the time to actually be helpful?

Please dpn't just repeat what everyone else says just to be Espi-cool. Search, SEARCH, SeArCh, blah, blah, Blah, bLah....

Dillinger, please be a little more helpful next time, or don't post at all.

jmdakan, If you can give me an Idea of what type of set up you have I might be able to be a little more helpful.

...But If you want to see what has worked for other people, and want to avoid getting flamed, I would suggest looking through some of the forums. In general you should try using the search feature on this site before you post a ?. Usually someone has already asked the same question you have.

Reefer_Buddha

aquamedic youre a hypocrite, you flame dillinger for saying use the search button then you turn around and give the same advice. nice one, retard.

THANKS ALOT GUYS. YOUR SO FRIGGIN HELPFUL. I'm no newbie to be flamed. I've done plenty of searches, thought I would try for some more recent insight from someone who has been using them. I feel bad for the newbie who is scared away by people not wanting to help and only being sarcastic. I was looking to see how cheap one could go on a Nano and still have somthing nice. I already have a 120 reef with thousands into it with sps etc. If your not here to learn or help then go away.

By the way, the above is not directed at anyone in perticular. I am just tired of all the flamming being done recently here and on reef central. It has no place on these boards. What was said above was not bad compared to alot I reed. It still gets anoying when you get an email notice of a response and you come here all excited to see what was posted only to read crap and see people wining about doing searches.

samthebigfish

jmdakan- you had better get used to it- it happens alot on here just humor it and go on.......

as for the mini 50/50, i have on my 5.5 it works wonders, i have shrooms, some cane, frogspawn, and zoo's. all loving it, and have had it sence around thanksgiving. has worked fine so far-

I currently have two 10 watt coralife 50/50 in a 2.5 aga. It works great......bright, everything is growing well and full of color. I have rics, zoo's, mushrooms, and gsp's in the tank. For the price and the space saving, I say go for it. You don't have to worry about ballast, etc......I hope this helps out a little, if you are talking about the 10 watt screw in.........

Sorry, jmdakan...I was feeling ornary. Those Coralife's are great for something like a 2.5 or 5.5 AGA or Minibow. But I think you would be better off going for a retrofit from Hellolights or something like that for any tank larger than that.

Happy Holidays,

Adam

I had that light over a 2.5. Heat definitely became an issue. I think, however, heat would dissipate over a 5.5 OK. Evap is also a big problem. Be prepared for major topping off.

On another note, I hate how this place has become a major flaming forum. I have quite a bit of experience and sometimes just want to ask a simple question, then someone interprets in a weird way and, bam, let the flaming begin. It's just not necessary.

I too, feel sorry for newbies. Maybe they think most nano-reefers are a**holes with attitudes.

Ed

Reefer_Buddha

X) I wasn't flaming dillinger for SAYING to use the search button, I was just upset at the WAY he said it.

dillinger

My apologies. I was also feeling a bit ornery. I'm getting a little tired of people getting flamed for legitimate questions. Flaming does have it's place... the JCT for example.:happy:

I just added one of those to my 2.5 gallon.. I like the compact look and such.. I just have one real question...

what the heck is everyone using to hold the light above the tank? They are even small for a 2.5.. I would love to know thanks..

• 2 weeks later...

I am building my 10 gal. hood today with 2 of the 20watt mini's.. I will post pics when it si finished. probably monday when the sealer is dry!

Would love to see the pics when you're done. A 10w 50/50 would probably be more than enough light on a 5g or over you HOB refugium, but a pair of them was far below the light I wanted on my 10g. I tried it out and returned both lights the same day... and put in my order on Marine Depot for a CSL 2x40. I'm so glad I did. :)

The only thing the 10w 50/50 are good for are putting in an existing hood on and Eclipse 5 Hex or the like. even still your softies will grow slowly. That's just my opinion from what i've seen. I would recommend the MINI MIGHT on Hello lights before that. no real heat issues. 6gallon? is that also an eclipse? If so you may be able to fit 28/32 watters in there. if the tank is shorter than 15" (which I don't think it is) I would suggest at least 3x13w PC. the 10W is just too dim IMO. Your Xenia will stretch out and not be happy.

Archived