Top Shelf Aquatics

Curry's 30 Long - Now with 45% moar Eel

Curry02

This is the idea i had in my head. Drew it up really quick in sketchup.

DIYSump.jpg

Cool design!!!

I think you'll see a difference in you tank once you have this sump finished and installed.

Me, well things are still about the same with me still not having the internet at home. In due time lol

I still have my 65gal going but Thinking of taking it down. Hard for me to keep it going with no cash coming in and getting what i need for the maintenance. BUT!!!!!! I'm not getting out of reefing, just going back to nanos for awhile.

I also won an AIO Nuvo 16 setup off of facebook which I will be setting here soon....I hope

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Cool design!!!

I think you'll see a difference in you tank once you have this sump finished and installed.

Me, well things are still about the same with me still not having the internet at home. In due time lol

I still have my 65gal going but Thinking of taking it down. Hard for me to keep it going with no cash coming in and getting what i need for the maintenance. BUT!!!!!! I'm not getting out of reefing, just going back to nanos for awhile.

I also won an AIO Nuvo 16 setup off of facebook which I will be setting here soon....I hope

Thanks! Yea I think its about time I learn how to build and set one up. Lets see what happens once its up and running.

Damn... no internet must suck... lol. Good to hear you'll still keep a little piece of reef around. I guess some reef is better than none... Congrats on the win, looking forward to that build!

I.m sure you'll do just fine with the build. It's not that hard to do.

Yeah it does suck not having the internet at home.

• 2 weeks later...

Had a day off... decided to start working on the sump. Waiting for it to cure then all I need is a return and overflow. Not sure if I want to go DSB for the refuge yet.

422886_564672218192_772613496_n.jpg

Swapped out the acrylic for glass and its so much sturdier. leak tested and then I added sand and rock. shes almost ready!! Going to order my overflow soon and start plumbing.

561592_564987107152_847407829_n.jpg

So I was sitting around today and came across a DIY PVC overflow. I figured I'd give it a shot.

Its been running for the last hour and so far so good. Its such a ##### to get the siphon/drain started but once started its great. Not too noisy either.

The issues I had earlier were it was draining faster than the return pump, im guessing it was siphoning and not draining. That issue is gone. My other issue is that the overflow does not restart by it self so im still trying to fix that.

IMAG0171.jpg

IMAG0172.jpg

IMAG0174.jpg

Found the problem with the PVC overflow. Stupid mistake on my part. Quickly fixed and all I can say is WOW. best $20 I ever spent. This thing flows great. starts and stops correctly. restarts it self if something obstructs it.

I haven't moved the heater only because if something does happen and flow stops from the sump I would need the heater in the main tank. but its not really an eye sore anyway. The reactor was.

Here are some shots of the sump.

PSK-75 skimmer, Phosban reactor and the refuge which needs some chaeto and macro now! Hopefully my pos population will increase now.

IMAG0176.jpg

IMAG0178.jpg

Picked up a 25watt clip on line for the sumps refuge. I went to two LFS and I can't believe no one had any chaeto or any macro for that matter!

Probably going check the classifieds to see if anyone is selling. I'm itching to get my pod population back up. I stopped dosing peroxide to the tank directly since i think that's what killed them off.

• 2 weeks later...

There is a gurgle but I haven't bothered to solve it. Tanks in my living room and it doesn't really bother me. A google search might yield a few solutions to silencing it.

• 3 weeks later...

Wow, you sure had done an outstanding job with the sump build!!!

everything sure is coming together just fine.

Looking forward to seeing future updates.

• 6 months later...

Wow, you sure had done an outstanding job with the sump build!!!

everything sure is coming together just fine.

Looking forward to seeing future updates.

Thanks! Its been a while since I did anything major with the tank. Believe it or not I'm STILL fighting with the neomeris and GHA....

BUT things have gotten a lot better since adding the sump and doing A LOT of manual removal. I'm not seeing as much neomeris and the GHA just falls off in huge clumps, I don't even have to yank it.

I'm placing another order to reef cleaners tonight to ramp up my cleanup crew since its been a while and their numbers have dwindled over the last year. Ill probably order some algae as well to see if that will help.

Today I came up with a solution for topping off the sump which works great, and I used one of my socks as a filter sock until my REAL filter sock gets here. So far the fish dont mind my socks, so they must smell good...

My Chaeto is actually shrinking in size... not sure what to do about that.

IMAG0579_zpsb9b91cde.jpg

IMAG0578_zpsed9f076c.jpg

Had some spare time and I decided to try my hand at building a cover for my tank. I love gobies and got tired of them carpet surfing. Went to home depot and got some clear mesh like material and framing and got to work.

For my first attempt I think it came out pretty good. A few minor cosmetic issues but it fits great and looks like it should work.

IMAG0580_zpsfb57bda8.jpg

IMAG0581_zps1df2afa4.jpg

IMAG0582_zps2e62b7ea.jpg

IMAG0583_zps6a6e1b88.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

It looks like the last bit of neomeris has finally died off. Now I just have to clean up the GHA thats leftover and I will finally have my tank back. Its been a very long year...

• 5 months later...

I decided to finally take more drastic steps to solve my GHA and Neomeris problem. I have since removed the rock wall and started slowly removing the sand from my tank. I will be taking out all the rocks and replacing them piece by piece over the next few weeks so my bacterial colonies don't completely die off.

Needless to say all the coral I had slowly choked and died from the Neomeris.

Bought a snowflake eel.

post-48164-0-07422500-1391364687_thumb.jpg

Sucks that you've had issues with GHA and Neomeris that cost you your corals! Since I have mostly macro algaes in my 20 long then I have the cool kinds & the not so much like green bubble algae. I do love the Neomeris you have, I'd like to get some of that!

Sucks that you've had issues with GHA and Neomeris that cost you your corals! Since I have mostly macro algaes in my 20 long then I have the cool kinds & the not so much like green bubble algae. I do love the Neomeris you have, I'd like to get some of that!

Yep it sucks. Oh well.

If it likes your tank, be warned, it will take over everythinggggggggg

It started with 5 pieces in my tank and they just started popping up everywhere.

Its been about a week since I removed the rockwall and I must say the tank is looking much better. Coraline seems to be growing everywhere and popping up in places it hasn't before.

The neomeris seems to be scaling back but its not completely dead yet. As for the GHA, it seems to be slowly dying off with the help of manual removal.

I just ordered myself a Neptune Systems Apex 3 and sometime this week I will be ordering that Current USA LED fixture.

Archived