Top Shelf Aquatics

Kalkwasser and Ca Correction.

Walking_Target

Walking_Target

So... I'm using IO salt. It comes up with poor Ca/Alk levels and poor Mg levels.

I've been correcting Mg using a standard dose of Kent Mg that has been figured out using a salifert test kit (added directly to the new water bucket).

My current dosing scheme is using the two part Bi-onic suppliment to maintain Ca and Alk between water changes (aprox 3.0-3.3 meq/L and 380-420ppm Ca)

Now, from my reading, it is possible to assess and use a 'standard' dose of Kalk added to your new SW mix bucket prior to water changes to correct Ca levels, and to use sodium bicarbonate or a similar substance to correct the Alk at the same time, hitting a rough target of 450ppm Ca and 3.6-3.8 meq/L.

my question is if this is a wise course of action. Kalk is one of the better respected ways of maintaining Ca without use of a reactor, and to be quite blunt, two part suppliments, while very good, are also fairly expensive.

what is the current thought on using Kalk for that type of Ca/Alk correction?

Next up... I'm building an air-powered ATO system based on several designs on this site (airpump leads to sealed resevoir with an submerged output tube) Is it possible to add a Kalk solution, at an appropriate rate of dilution, to this ATO for the sole purpose of maintaining Ca levels?

thanks for any responses!

scubasteve2580
So... I'm using IO salt. It comes up with poor Ca/Alk levels and poor Mg levels.

I've been correcting Mg using a standard dose of Kent Mg that has been figured out using a salifert test kit (added directly to the new water bucket).

My current dosing scheme is using the two part Bi-onic suppliment to maintain Ca and Alk between water changes (aprox 3.0-3.3 meq/L and 380-420ppm Ca)

Now, from my reading, it is possible to assess and use a 'standard' dose of Kalk added to your new SW mix bucket prior to water changes to correct Ca levels, and to use sodium bicarbonate or a similar substance to correct the Alk at the same time, hitting a rough target of 450ppm Ca and 3.6-3.8 meq/L.

my question is if this is a wise course of action. Kalk is one of the better respected ways of maintaining Ca without use of a reactor, and to be quite blunt, two part suppliments, while very good, are also fairly expensive.

what is the current thought on using Kalk for that type of Ca/Alk correction?

Next up... I'm building an air-powered ATO system based on several designs on this site (airpump leads to sealed resevoir with an submerged output tube) Is it possible to add a Kalk solution, at an appropriate rate of dilution, to this ATO for the sole purpose of maintaining Ca levels?

thanks for any responses!

liquid calcium is a good way to go.. something like kent liquid calcium.. but youre also going to want to raise alkalinity levels.. baking soda is good for that. look up Randys 2 part supplement. also, the new IO is 11/420/1500 or something likle that. pretty good numbers.

scubasteve2580
heh, my current bucket is pretty darned anemic. It mixes up 2.9meq.l/330/1100

yeah thats how the older stuff is.. just add supp to get it up to par and when you run out, get the new stuff.

Walking_Target

I switched back to IO from DD H20, I used the DDH2O as my local SW guy had a decent sale on 50g tubs as a promotional 'try one' type of thing. My corals loved the stuff, but I have a hard time paying $160 for a bucket of salt right now.

Then my actinic blew and I spent the last of Nov/Dec using IO, which I never noticed the absurdly low levels on as my corals didn't grow much and I attributed that to a lack of light.

My LED upgrade is up, and all my softies (except for the 'shrooms) are loving it, budding and splitting and reproducing and generally growing like crazy. My LPS are not nearly as happy though, after breaking out my test kits, and using a friends, I determined that i'd let my Alk and Ca slide to low levels (I'd been spoilt on the DD H20, as I'd not had to dose anything for months, just regular waterchanges and topoffs)

So, now the **** has hit the fan and my frogspawn and acans are planning to murder me.

Archived