Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Magnesium Supplements

lousybreed

Hi, I am getting ready to dive into a 29gallon tank and I was wondering how important dosing mag is. Do you have to dose just for SPS? How much and how often do you usually have to dose? What products are the best?

Hi, I am getting ready to dive into a 29gallon tank and I was wondering how important dosing mag is. Do you have to dose just for SPS? How much and how often do you usually have to dose? What products are the best?

There are many schools of thought on dosing. Personally, I don't dose. Weekly water changes with good high quality sea water replenishes your trace elements. I'm sure that you will get varying opinions on this topic and I don't think there is a right or wrong answer. I've tried to keep things as simple as I can.

This is a topic you really need to research on your own and then come ask specific questions. Since you dont have your tank set up yet dont worry about it you wont have to deal with it for a while.

there is no set formula for dosing. each tank is different. Depending on your stocking, salt choice, weekly routines, and etc, your dosing will vary. that's why testing is key

generally coraline and sps to some degree use mag, softies and lps dont use nearly as much i beleive, i might have sps and lps mixed up here.

at any rate, mag also helps keep your alk and CA levels balanced and elevated above the saturation level of them combined because alk and ca would normally combine especially at the concentrations we strive for.

mag isnt really a trace element, its actually the 3rd most abundant element in salt aside from sodium and chloride.

dont dose without testing. and mag isnt something you really need to test for unless you have reason to beleive that it is off

I've found that fast growing LPS, such as Acans, will bring the Mg level down quickly as will fast growng SPS.

+1.. I've noticed that when I add new SPS and LPS corals, such as, Acans they do take up more Mag. I dose my mag in small quanitities every other day along with my daily 1 gallon water changes and weekly 5 gallon water changes. My tank it is pretty well populated and I agree with everyone that each tank is different. If I were you and just setting up I'd wait to start thinking about dosing mag. Spend your money on good salt after your cycling process and test kits.. Good luck

Archived