Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

the ich strikes

Seanano

Well it looks like my two clowns have ich. i went out and got garlic xtract and coral life frozen red food. went ahead and put two drops in w/ the food while waiting for it to defrost. the fish went bezerk and chased the food all over the tank... however. they really arent eating it. the pellets i had are too big. so i am running outta ideas here as to what i should do. they appear to want to eat. jut not anything i put in the tank

Hi,

I've been though ich. The only sure-fire thing to do (and you aren't going to want to hear this) is to get a cheap 5 or 10 gallon tank, some cheap filtration (bio-wheel or sponge filter), and a heater. You have to make a hospital tank for your critters.

If you have a refractometer, do hyposalinity. Otherwise, use copper. You have to keep your display tank fishless for at least 4 weeks to get rid of the parasite. For more info, look at the disease forum at ReefCentral.

In-tank treatments are hit and miss ... mostly miss. In the long run, you'll glad you have the hospital / quarantine tank.

Archived