Pod Your Reef

Store "Water Machine" RO Water

nano_keeper30

nano_keeper30

Dont have a RO Unit, I rent and putting a pipe and drain line through the wall from my laundry room to a less contaminant free area wouldnt make the land lord to happy, so I take my happy butt to the store every week or two and fill up my 4, 5 gallon water cooler jugs with water from the "water machine" as I call it. Which really dont bother me since its only 39 cents a gallon. But I was wondering if there was any disadvantage of using that water. Basically the signs at most places say it is 3 stage from what I understand. Carbon, membrane, UV. But I often wonder how effective these units are at actually making pure water. It seems to me that the water is actually treated and run through the process while you are standing there with the switch flipped because the water is very cold like it just came from the outside main (i live in wisconsin and it is freezing outside) as opposed to being processed, held in a holding tank and being replentished as need be.

Are these machines more carbon filtered than anything ? I guess I cant complain because my fish and coral have known nothing else and are doing fine. Id assume it is better than running strait tap water by all means but I would just like to know if anyone has any inside information of how this stuff rates to a RO unit you would purchase.

it's probably not quite as pure as a purpose-built RO/DI could produce, but if it works for you then great. there should be a service number on the unit, you could always call them for the exact TDS numbers if you ever feel the need.

nano_keeper30

Thanks, I just might do that. Like I said i just wanted to make sure that Im not paying 39 cents a gallon to have the liberty of flipping the switch on the fancy machine for all but glorified tap water ran faster than hell through a carbon filter. LoL

I live in an apartment and, I used store RO/DI for about a year with no problems. It gets old fast though; carrying all those jugs up and down the stairs.

I now use the Might Mite ro/di, picked up for about $110. It just screws right in to your faucet head. I leave it in the closet when I am not using it, and hook it up to the bathroom sink when I need water.

http://www.airwaterice.com/product/1MMDI/M...h-DI-Added.html

skimlessinseattle
it's probably not quite as pure as a purpose-built RO/DI could produce, but if it works for you then great. there should be a service number on the unit, you could always call them for the exact TDS numbers if you ever feel the need.

Most water companies post the TDS numbers on a monthly service log by the dispenser. Numbers can vary from company to company, but I would avoid any service with average TDS numbers above 5. My local grocery store has a TDS average of 3 and has worked well for me.

Without a TDS meter no one can tell you how good or bad it is, you hear horror stories all the time with vending machines since they are not requlated by any health agencies.

I much prefer using a staffed or manned water & ice type store. Every one I have been in was more than happy to test the wate rfor me in my presence to showcase their equipment. I still prefer having my own TDS meter and at $19 or so its cheap insurance.

You can't say avoid a place that has TDS numbers above 5 or anything like that since its RO only and final TDS is going to depend on incoming TDS. In Phoenix or TDS is 500-1200 so the machines will never get to 5 TDS without DI. On the other hand if your TDS is the national average 250 then 5 may be realistic but you cannot make a ablanket statement without knowing the starting point.

I use store bought RO water from Pick n Save and I know there's always some little dated sticker on it that says that the water has been tested by some outside source. Supposedly it gets tested every two weeks to ensure the TDS is low enough. I've been using that water for over a year and so far so good.

The only thing that I wonder about is you see all these RO/DI units that produce only about 75-100 gallons per day, but the water machine can fill up my five gallon jug in a few minutes. Are there bigger RO/DI units that can produce clean water that quickly?

There are some 150 GPD RO membranes on the market but thats about as big as you can get for home use. Most of us have a storage container we fill with RO/DI os we have plenty on hand for topoff and water changes. My RO/DI goes into a 23 gallon Rubbermaid recycling can for topoff and I also keep 4 or 5 5G drinking water jugs around for water changes.

Archived