Cultivated Reef

Is 110 watts too much?

surfingelite

Need some advise

I am noob that is intent on starting a going to start a 10 gallon AGA nano and I have the option to cheaply get two 24" silver aluminum hoods housed with two lamps (one daylight and one actinic) per hood. These aluminum hoods have ventilation and a highly reflective brushed aluminum for reflection. Also included is one ballast with quick disconnects. Everything works great and is in mint condition. Four 55 watt double bulbs included. 2 are daylight and 2 are actinic.

This is a total of 220 watts but these lights are 4" longer than the tank. But I think I am getting a steal. I want to keep zoos, shrooms, one small clam, one small anemone, and maybe some lps or sps frags depending on room (looking really far ahead). By keeping one of the hoods on, 110 watts of light is steaming on my 10 gallon. Is 110 too much? if not is 220 too much?

I will try to get some pics soon.

Not too much at all. I have a standard 15 gallon tank, 24" long. Above that I have a DIY hood that contains a combo of 65 watt PC bulbs and 75 watt VHO bulbs for a total of 375 watts. Everything loves the light.

you could do it...should be plenty of light...if not more than enough.

I just want to say one thing: law of diminishing returns.

I bet one 70watt halide would work just as well, make less heat, not be as bulky, prolly less heat, and alot less electricity...oh, and the corals would like it more. Not to mention, are you sure you will be able to fit all 4 bulbs over a 10 gallon?

I dont want to be negative, but too often I see people blowing money on half a dozen lights when one would do. Keep in mind that many 55wattPC bulbs are going bye-bye (replaced with the 65watters) and often 55watters cost more, and have less bulbs available. Personally, I had a 20H with a 2x65watt setup. I wanted more, so I thought about cramming another 65watter on there, but then I realized: then I would have to replace 3 bubs...totalling 195watts. One 175watt halide could have been used instead...more intensity, less watts, and better spectrum...so I went with a pendant. It seems you could have 260watts of powercompact lighting, and one 150watt halide would outperform it. halide just beats pc in intensity and the overall quality of the light being made. I dont mean to seem so bent on halides, but in this case, the lights seem as if they wont fit in the first place (so your not going to get a full 220watts anyways), and the longterm cost of halide would prolly be less.

Reefer_Buddha

pc's are what you get when you cant afford halide :) But since you can diy halide easy i agree with wetworx (as usual) and would opt for halide as well.

Wetworx is dead on. If you want the best bang for the buck, use MH. I went with all PC & VHO because I basically got the ballasts for nothing, including an IceCap 440.

You can get great results with flourecent light, you just need more of it than you do with MH.

But also bear in mind that lighting isn't the be-all and end-all of the tank. It's just part of the equation. Keeping a VERY stable environment is equally important.

well...your input convinced me to not get those light and go for the DIY MH but the problem is i dont know how to do it my self.

i guess i got to do some reading and searching to make the light and hood.

thanks

Archived