Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

29gallon lighting

tang27

hey all,

i was thinking of adding another 65 watt pc to the existing 2x65 pc i already have good idea or not ? i dont want to buy another light fixture yet because i just purchased this one not to long ago for a 20l but i want to up grade to a 29 any suggestions ?

I'm running 2x65's on my 29 and have considered adding another 65. I haven't done it yet cause my tanks running perfectly so why mess with it. But if you want to, there shouldn't be any problems at all adding another 65.

been there done that...with a 20H...pretty much the same thing. had 2x65...wasnt enough...wanted to add another 65...but realized I might as well just get a halide for it. Put a 175 pendant over it. Less electricity, waaaaay better lighting. Less heat (open air above tank vs. closed heated space above tank means alot more than how hot the bulbs get..halides are just easier to ventilate sometimes). Not to mention law of deminishing returns...another 65watts doesnt really do alot considering the depth of the tank and quality of the light, halide is just better light even if you had twide as much PCwatts than MHwatts. now I only have one 20,000K bulb to worry about replacing....nice...

I have to agree with wetworx, I fought switching to MH for ages and tried many diffrent PC set ups on my 20 and 29. Right now i am runiing a single 250 watt 12K sunburst and I am much happier.

I have seen tons of pictures of members tanks running PC's that look great, but I never had that success. With MH, I am much happier with the condition of my corals and the look of my tank.

Guy

I have just upgraded my 29's PC's to 3x65. Well, it's actually 2x55's from hellolights (square pin) and 1x65 CSL smartlamp retro together mounted on Hello's large flat retrokit reflector. I have it loaded as follows: 1x65 W 03 actinic (Hello's) so I can run it by itself, 1x55 W 10K (Hello's), and 1x55 W CSL Smartlamp (50/50). So that's a total of 175 watts.

I'm still setting-up and I haven't put-in any corals yet so I can't say how any of it will work on the reef. I do think the intensity and the colors are very good. Especially, the spectral variety from the 3 bulbs looks good together. It's amazing how much less appealing the color is (to me) when I turn-off the 03 bulb and just view the 10K and the smartlamp together.

Archived