Cultivated Reef

Best way to monitor water level?

dougellefson

I have been a reefer for several years- just starting a nanocube 28g.

I'm looking for the best place to monitor the water level so I can top off.

I'd like to forego using an ATO, and just add whatever is needed every few days

by hand. I'd like to make a "low water mark" in one of the rear chambers?

Any input/ ideas would be appreciated.

I'm new to nano-reef.com, and very glad to have found you.

ATO will be your best friend otherwise you are a slave to this tank.

If not just look at the front of the tank. Water levels in the display and the rear chambers will be proportional.

If not just look at the front of the tank. Water levels in the display and the rear chambers will be proportional.

when you gonna make a media basket for nanocube 28g dude?

ok this is the cheapest easiest way possible. figure out where you would like to let the water go down to before topping off and take a black marker on the ouside of the tank near the back and draw a little black line. then when the water touches that line top it off tada lol

ok this is the cheapest easiest way possible. figure out where you would like to let the water go down to before topping off and take a black marker on the ouside of the tank near the back and draw a little black line. then when the water touches that line top it off tada lol

Thanks man. Now go to sleep!

Sorry Steve. This is not accurate. It is not proportionate in the NC28.

I can eyeball into my back chambers for top off easily. Back pump chamber can be half full and the tank is not half full. My pump can be blowing bubbles with no drop in display volume.

Not the ATO part.

Get an ATO.

I did but due to the pc4 RKL low power bad juju it's still disconnected.

neanderthalman

If you don't want an ATO, then how about a floatswitch that triggers a buzzer. That way, even if you don't look at the tank, you know it needs water.

Sorry Steve. This is not accurate. It is not proportionate in the NC28.

I can eyeball into my back chambers for top off easily. Back pump chamber can be half full and the tank is not half full. My pump can be blowing bubbles with no drop in display volume.

Not the ATO part.

Get an ATO.

I did but due to the pc4 RKL low power bad juju it's still disconnected.

I don't mean proportionate like they are the same level, rear chambers are never equal to their display levels.

I mean if the display water level goes down doesn't the rear chamber level go down as well? So if a good water level is 1/8" below your top molding, then you wake up and it is 1/4" below the molding, time to top off right?

I don't mean proportionate like they are the same level, rear chambers are never equal to their display levels.

I mean if the display water level goes down doesn't the rear chamber level go down as well? So if a good water level is 1/8" below your top molding, then you wake up and it is 1/4" below the molding, time to top off right?

Nope, in the JBJ tanks, the rear chambers can literally go dry before the display will show a water drop. Of course, by then its a bit too late and SG will be too high and the pump will be puking air into the display.

To OP, the idea of a buzzer connected to a floatswitch and power supply is a good idea, you can even put a light in the circuit. I'd still just go the whole route and make a proper ATO so then all you have to do is keep the source reservoir full.

I have a 20H....it has a plastic rim or whatever going around the top. I just keep it filled to the base of that rim....I add a little as i see it below that rim.

Archived