Top Shelf Aquatics

No RO water for me

Dani3d

Well I bought a RO/DI unit and I did my first water change with the RO instead of tap water (20% water change). well well surprise! Today my tank was FULL of brown diatom algea! I had none before with my tap water and what makes me even more sad is that my alveopora was totaly closed.

I then did another water change with tap water and it slowly started to open again but did not fully open by the end of the day. I surely hope it will regain its previous live as it was extending a lot each day.

So what's with that? I thought RO/DI was better but obviously something is missing from the RO water that the coral like? The PH, hardness etc were the same so why is this hapening? Ph is 8.2 and Kh is 9. Ammonia, nitrites to 0 and nitrates undetectible.

I will from now on only use RO/DI to top off evaporation and I will use tap water for the water change. I am afraid to do any substantial water change with RO.

And why did I never had algea so far and after the RO/DI water change everything was covered in algea? It only took few hours for it to hapen, how come this happen with RO water and not with the tap?

I am a bit confused about the algea and the coral bad reaction to RO water.

The water from the RO unit TDS is 0, and I use Instant Ocean salt mix.

Even my zoas and ricordeas were not quite themselves this morning, now almost back to normal after the second water change.

Any idea why this could happen? Strange thing is that my pulsing xenia never showed any effect from this..it was pulsating as if nothing was wrong.

I am really puzzled now.

I have no idea what it could be. Where do you live? I'm in Florida and I think if I used tap water my entire tank would just suddenly explode into flames. I feel bad giving it to the cats! Florida tap water is famous for being bad.

Don't let one instance influence your idea of RO/DI water, there are so many variables at play here.

Did you flush out your RO/DI machine before it's first collection? Did you mix everything up exactly the same?

There was a thread a few weeks ago where a guy had diatoms every time a WC was done.

Are you sure it's hooked up right, and that you don't have the RO and wasteline mixed? How long did it take you to fill up a bucket?

It can be a pain to hook up an RO 5 stage filter as I spent a couple hours today doing it. I had to google a diagram because they left 1 page out of my instructions. I put labels on all the ports to be sure I plumbed it correctly.

Instructions say flush at least 2 tanks to get the system clear of the chemicals they use to make the filters.

neanderthalman

I think it's quite telling that the first conclusion the OP jumps to is that "everyone else must be wrong, RO is actually bad - I'd better warn everyone!". Rather than understanding that, if he's having a problem, it's because he's having a problem, not the water. It's far more likely that you made an error and flushed some junk into the tank.

Try all of these, then try a few water changes to see if it's actually a repeatable effect.

Are you sure it's hooked up right, and that you don't have the RO and wasteline mixed? How long did it take you to fill up a bucket?

Did you flush out your RO/DI machine before it's first collection? Did you mix everything up exactly the same?

It can be a pain to hook up an RO 5 stage filter as I spent a couple hours today doing it. I had to google a diagram because they left 1 page out of my instructions. I put labels on all the ports to be sure I plumbed it correctly.

Instructions say flush at least 2 tanks to get the system clear of the chemicals they use to make the filters.

Of course I don't use the waste line :) I had RO/DI before when I had my discus and was using it and the waste line is connected to the drain.

I have a few hypothesis.

1. Maybe the RO/DI did not run enough and there were some charcoal particles or some sort of debris that the coral did not like? I let it run for one hour previous to using it. They said 20 minutes on the instructions.

2. Maybe something is missing or became too low in the new water since my RO is just at 0 for everything. I did test ph and adjusted the KH to be 9 as it was, but I did not check calcium for exemple and there is probably some calcium in my tap. So can a drop in some trace element do that?

Today the alveopora seem skittish. It just retreat inside at the slightest disturbance. It does come out more though, but not as it was before. I am not sure it will recover as these are fragile, so I will see.

In any case, I will only use RO for topping off for now, and when doing water change I will probably use tap water or a mix of both tap and Ro and very gradualy increase the amount of RO in my water change.

I need to buy a calcium test though, as I have no idea how it is. My coral were doing great before that water change. My ricordea yuma have not come back yet to what they were, so not only the alveopora show sing of discomfort.

I have no idea what it could be. Where do you live? I'm in Florida and I think if I used tap water my entire tank would just suddenly explode into flames. I feel bad giving it to the cats! Florida tap water is famous for being bad.

NO it is very simple to hook. no problem there as I have been using RO/DI for many years before and never had a problem to understand how it works. It's extremely simple and the instructions are very clear as well.

Mine were all identified with labels so there was no possible confusion. In any case, it's very very straightforward. The prefilter goes before the membrane and the DI goes last. Simple enough.

And last but not least..the water that is coming out of it test 0 for TDS..so it's definitly working well.

A TDS meter is a great tool to use to see if your RO is working properly. I use a 'poor mans TDS meter' ; a calcium test kit.

Nope, did not flush anything in to the tank. I put my RO water in a food grade container and the water was at 0 for TDS before mixing. So not a trace of anything in that. Just pure water and Instant Ocean salt.

BUT...and you must understand that much...Something was in my tap water that was missing from the RO/DI pure water. OBVIOUSLY. and that something was missing too drasticaly and the coral did not like that one bit.

If TDS show 0 (and my meter is working perfectly so before you ask) that means there is no dissolved solid in the water, just pure water.

I am not saying that RO water is bad. It's not bad! it's just pure water and it was a too drastic change in something in my water compared to the tap that created the problem, not the RO water itself.

So my lesson learned is never EVER do a drastic change in a tank with corals. That's it and that's all. Even if I tought that RO water was going to be an improvement, it was not, at least not if implemented too quickly.

Every change must be done very very slowly and if I change to RO water I must do it over a long period of time and very gradualy and if I see some of my coral declining, I must check all the parameters that are important to coral to find out what they are missing.

And you should refrain from thinking for other people because you're off track. I did not wanted to say or warned everybody that RO is bad..that's your saying not mine.

I think it's quite telling that the first conclusion the OP jumps to is that "everyone else must be wrong, RO is actually bad - I'd better warn everyone!". Rather than understanding that, if he's having a problem, it's because he's having a problem, not the water. It's far more likely that you made an error and flushed some junk into the tank.

Try all of these, then try a few water changes to see if it's actually a repeatable effect.

I use a good TDS meter and there are quite cheap on ebay. I paid like 15 to 20$ for mine and it has served me well to check when my RO/DI needed replacement.

My tap water is soft enough so that after using my previous unit for 6 months 30gallons per day (for discus), my TDS was still only .03

I think it's a must. I also have a PH meter and it's so much more precise than those color tests.

A TDS meter is a great tool to use to see if your RO is working properly. I use a 'poor mans TDS meter' ; a calcium test kit.

I let it run for one hour. ain't that enough? the instruction said 20 minutes but I wanted to be safe.. Beside, it was 0 TDS..how much bad stuff can be in there when the TDS is at 0?

There should not be anything in that water.

So why was that guy having diatom after each water change? was he using RO water or tap?

Strange that I do water change with tap each week and never had this before, then first time I use RO and bang, it's everywhere. Amazing how quickly that stuff grow!

One thing is that when I use tap water I always add a little bit of Seachem Prime. I did not use Prime with the RO water because obviously there is no need for it.

Could this have make a difference? Either that or a drastic drop in calcium. Can this affect coral if a too drastic drop in calcium happen?

I am going to buy a calcium test kit today. They were out of it last time I went.

Don't let one instance influence your idea of RO/DI water, there are so many variables at play here.

There was a thread a few weeks ago where a guy had diatoms every time a WC was done.

If your tank was doing great with tap why did you even wastse money on an RO/DI unit?

I'd never call investing in a RO/DI unit a "waste" of money. Tap is just too inconsistent most of the time to be relied on.

I was just pointing out that his tank was doing well before why did he make the change. I am by no means trying tosay that RO/DI is a waste of money

And you should refrain from thinking for other people because you're off track. I did not wanted to say or warned everybody that RO is bad..that's your saying not mine.

I'm not thinking for you, just giving you my 2c. I didn't say 'use a TDS meter', I said its a good way to determine whether your water is good or not. I didn't see the TDS reading from the first post.

Also, asking a question on nano-reef.com = asking people to think for you....or perhaps this was not directed at me?

neanderthalman

c.u.m hoc ergo propter hoc

Having seemingly ruled out all or most potential mistakes or malfunctions.......have you yed demonstrated that the RO water change was responsible for the diatom bloom. Is it repeatable? Is it less pronounced as you continue with water changes? More pronounced?

Edit - FARKING CURSE FILTER.

Because I had to buy pure water for topping off anyway and at 2$ per gallon, it was less expensive to buy a RO unit. You can't use tap to top off because what ever is in the tap is going to be more and more concentrated. Also I surely did NOT expect what I got. I was more expecting that my tank would do even better with RO.

What a surprise.

If your tank was doing great with tap why did you even wastse money on an RO/DI unit?

No that was not directed at you.

I'm not thinking for you, just giving you my 2c. I didn't say 'use a TDS meter', I said its a good way to determine whether your water is good or not. I didn't see the TDS reading from the first post.

Also, asking a question on nano-reef.com = asking people to think for you....or perhaps this was not directed at me?

I have no idea because I did a second water change (smaller) with tap water to alleviate the effect of the first one and to releive what ever was bothering my coral. It worked but some of my coral are still not 100% back. My alveopora is not expending much today but getting better very very slowly. My Yuma are also getting better, nearly back to normal.

I will definitly not repeat this. I just think the change was just too drastic. It's only 20 gallons so changing 4 gallons with much different water was probably too much. I can't beleive that my RO water is not good because TDS is 0. 0 is 0, means there is nothing in there. Plus I have carbon in my filter so if there would be some toxine in there it would be quickly absorbed.

My guess is that maybe calcium concentration was drasticaly changed or some other important element, since I did not check for that (no test). I only checked KH and PH, salinity with a refractometer.

As for mistake, the only one was to think it would be ok to change that much water so drasticaly. Lesson learned beleive me!

I am 100% sure the RO/DI is installed properly and working properly. I verified everything and it's perfect.

Today the diatom was not increasing and I have not seen the huge bloom that I got yesterday, so that's good.

Honestly, if I get anything more prononced than this, I would probably lose a few of my beautiful coral.

I know it does not make much sense and I was the first surprised, but that's what hapened.

c.u.m hoc ergo propter hoc

Having seemingly ruled out all or most potential mistakes or malfunctions.......have you yed demonstrated that the RO water change was responsible for the diatom bloom. Is it repeatable? Is it less pronounced as you continue with water changes? More pronounced?

Edit - FARKING CURSE FILTER.

You may be right it being just a drastic water quality change, and for some odd reason it was diatoms that benefited most, do what you've said and make the switch slowly over time, and things OUGHT to improve and your corals should thank you for it.

Yes I will make it so very gradual they will not notice it. Today my ricordeas and other corals are at 100% back to normal and the alveopora is about 90% back to normal, quite extended, so things looking good. Still some algea though and that's very ugly, but there is much less.

You may be right it being just a drastic water quality change, and for some odd reason it was diatoms that benefited most, do what you've said and make the switch slowly over time, and things OUGHT to improve and your corals should thank you for it.

It could be a coincidence for the algea but there was my alveopora not coming out at all and it never did this since I got it, not even the first day I got it, it was always fully expended. So that was no coincidence. Algea, ricordea not opening well, alveopora not opening at all and some of my zoas did not open much as well. All this has a reason and came right after the water change.

My alveopora is pretty much back to normal today..quite a releive.

Your tanks under 1 month old, couldnt the algae just be a coincidence?
I can't beleive that my RO water is not good because TDS is 0. 0 is 0, means there is nothing in there.

While I doubt that RO is causing your problems (way too many counterexamples and uncontrolled variables), the water everyone is using and recommending is 0 ppm TDS, not 0 TDS. There is plenty of other stuff in there, just not enough to do anything for our uses. 0 ppm means .5ppm or less, it is generally impossible to make 100% pure anything.

It could be a coincidence for the algea but there was my alveopora not coming out at all and it never did this since I got it, not even the first day I got it, it was always fully expended. So that was no coincidence. Algea, ricordea not opening well, alveopora not opening at all and some of my zoas did not open much as well. All this has a reason and came right after the water change.

My alveopora is pretty much back to normal today..quite a releive.

IF I had to take a guess I would say the algae was going to happen anyways on a young tank. The RO change was probably way to drastic and made your stuff unhappy. The drastic changes probably only helped the algae bloom worse than it wouldve otherwise.

I've had FW tanks In the past bloom different types of algae when they shouldn't be blooming that particular type for my water params/lighting. Usually after a shock to the system also.

On a side note,(begin your eye rolls) I also use tap with*knock on wood* no problems yet. We have great tap here, however, also will be getting RO/DI eventually as I'm more worries what the city could dump in at anytime. Although I did check water quality reports dating far back before I started the saltwater tank to see if tap could be "temporarily appropiate"

When I lived in Maine I had a tap water dump or bloom kill a good portion of my discus so I know first hand what can happen. There are no RO water stations around here.

RO is not going to contribute to the problem, it would have been worse with tap water I don't care where you are. RO does not have nutrients in it to feed algae unlike many or most tap waters especially those from surface water sources.

this happened to a guy I know, he switched to RO went on 4 day vacation, came back... tank was covered in hair algae but he got to looking and said his high quality SPS had grown 1/4" in 4 days!

Archived