Coral Vue Hydros

Chem clean

coolwaters

well i got tired of losing to the slime algae...

its worth a shot..

just added a spoon full in a 20g instead of 2 spoons. ( offset it a little for rocks/coral/otherthings/and the tank really is around 18gs)

they said to run a aeration device like a bubble wand or stone. and to turn off skimmers. whats up with that?

i dont want to use the bubble wands or stones cuz it'll turn my entire tank into a skimmer...

i left my skimmer on for a while to see how it goes.

anyone want to share some experiences?

they said to run a aeration device like a bubble wand or stone. and to turn off skimmers. whats up with that?

I imagine they find that a skimmer removes the Chem Clean before it can have any effect OR could cause your skimmer to act up and over skim to the point where your cup overfills ???

You need to turn your skimmer off, there is a reason why they require that.

Just bump up the flow in your tank if you can.

isnt the skimmer basically the same as the bubble making things they recommend using?

No.

The skimmer will work against the chemi-clean

Is it made for freshwater tanks as well? If so that is why they suggest a bubble want, FW tanks don't have flow.

Here is the reason

Important Note: So you do not alter or filter ChemiClean out of your tank, first turn off UV sterilizer and/or Ozonizer and also your Protein Skimmer. Remove ChemiPure or any other Carbon Filtration for 24 hours following each treatment. During treatment maintain tank oxygen levels with airstone or other aerator.

http://www.marvelousproducts.com/Chemiclea.../chemiclean.htm

it says

1. add aeration - add additional aeration to your aquarium through the use of an air pump and air stone. Do not relay on strong water circulation to add adequate aeration or the use of inadequate air supplies, i.e. bubble wands or other bubble producing products that produce too large a bubble mainly for visual effects. leave the additional aeration in your aquarium until the end of full treatment. ( a full treatment takes 48 hours.)

the rest is basically disable water cleaning systems and remove filter medias.

their wording is bad for number 1...

it says

1. add aeration - add additional aeration to your aquarium through the use of an air pump and air stone. Do not relay on strong water circulation to add adequate aeration or the use of inadequate air supplies, i.e. bubble wands or other bubble producing products that produce too large a bubble mainly for visual effects. leave the additional aeration in your aquarium until the end of full treatment. ( a full treatment takes 48 hours.)

the rest is basically disable water cleaning systems and remove filter medias.

their wording is bad for number 1...

Sounds like they are encouraging some sort of gas exchange mabey ?

I imagine there is no list of active ingredients ?

Here is the reason

Important Note: So you do not alter or filter ChemiClean out of your tank, first turn off UV sterilizer and/or Ozonizer and also your Protein Skimmer. Remove ChemiPure or any other Carbon Filtration for 24 hours following each treatment. During treatment maintain tank oxygen levels with airstone or other aerator.

http://www.marvelousproducts.com/Chemiclea.../chemiclean.htm

OOOOooooo

thanks stevie.

dr fosi is right it is a cocktail additive. i think it increases a certain bacteria to take up all the excessive waste and nutrition.

I dont remember WHERE I saw it, but i remember seeing chemi-clean is a sort of oxidizing chemical which probably works by damaging the bacterial cell wall or inihibiting protein synthesis/ utilization... think of it as a very crappy antibiotic-ish but NOT toxic to most things. This could cause your dissolved oxygen level to drop though because of the chemical reactions taking place accelerated by the chemi-clean. The bubble wand helps counteract this.

I used it once...only had to do it once! I put the bubble wand in the back chamber of my jbj nano where the media basket normally is. I jsut kept floss running with it and took out all other filter media and turned off my skimmer.

Even after the 48 hours you'll see a lot of 'water' being pulled out by your skimmer. Must somehow increase the surface tension too by that evidence.

well its been a while... not change at all. had to move chucks of the slime algae manually....

going to do a 30 or 40% water change and try again the next day...

dam this blows.

I recently had a bad outbreak of cyano and I was too lazy to remove any of it before treating it with chemi-clean and after 2 days the cyano was completely gone and hasnt come back since. All I did was stop skimming and take out the chemipure and kept everything else the same. Maybe try again because that stuff worked faster than the red slime control I was using.

You COULD just remove the skimmer collection cup and stick the cap of it on top of the skimmer to keep spray down, that ought to aerate the heck out of the water and not worry about removing the chemical.

When I run chemi-clean it causes my skimmer to go crazy. I usually have to leave it off for 3-4 days after the treatment and water change. The skimmer will just overflow. There's some type of reaction that causes the bubbles to increase. I don't run any aeration in my tank after dosing the chemiclean. I have 3 Koralia 4's and the oxygen is created as the water goes through my overflow. The stuff works very well, but it won't completely eliminate the problem. It'll eventually come back, but it's a nice quick fix

Plus depending on how bad your algae is, you may need to repeat the treatment.

it wasnt that bad. just a few pieces here and there but a pain to get all of it.

nothing ate it so i went chemical warfare on it.

this stuff doesnt work on brown slime algae right?

it wasnt that bad. just a few pieces here and there but a pain to get all of it.

nothing ate it so i went chemical warfare on it.

this stuff doesnt work on brown slime algae right?

If you mean diatoms, probly not, if you mean dino, it might.

Archived