SaltCritters.com

cloudy water

ReefMad1967

my tank has been set up for 6-7 weeks now. I have a full cleaner crew and about 50 lbs of LR. I also have a 3" DSB, 18 inch fuge, cpr bak pak skimmer, 150 watts of VHO and 110 wats of 10k pc. My water looks very cloudy. Im not sure if its light bouncing off of green film algae in the back of the galss (yet to clean off, no razorblades) My skimmer has been working effiecently. I also have a surface skimmer with the bak pak, so i dont think its surface film. What could it be? My levels are doing fine, temp 78(day) 76(night). Can you please help me? I neeed to know before i go away on vacation.thnxs, mike.

P.S. the tank is a 30 gal(not exactly a nano:blush: B)

water parametrs are ok. Just a little trace of ammonia. I think something might have died on me. I dose Seachem calcium, carbonate, and amino acids.

What kind of inhabs do you have in there? You said something may have died, no idea what's missing? If you think something is dead in the tank you need to get it out.

I think it might have been a sponge on the LR. I have a full cleaner crrew, xenia, zoos, and some gsp. Im going to perform a water change today. I also think that my additives reacted with eacother. Your supposed to add them in 30 min. intevals but I didnt. Lesson learned.

Was the LR cured when you bought it? How long ago did you add it to your tank?

Also, if you havent cleaned your glass then that could be the problem right there . . a thin film of algae on your front glass can give you the illusion of having cloudy water - its fooled me before.

What kind of additives are you adding to such a new tank? With just a bunch of soft corals and a cleanup crew proper water changes are all you really need to start out with. If your using a good salt mix it should already have the appropriate parameters, and with just a few softies and a cleanup crew I dont think you have to add much at this point.

d.

i bought the rock semi-cured and cycled the tank with it back in november. I let it cycle trough all the spikes then got the cleaner crew. Im using instant ocean salt right now but normally prefer reef crystals. My glass has no algae on it anymore. Ill move my mad float around and nothing comes off. So then i try a razor blade and still nothing appears to be on there. Its gotten a lil better after the water change and carbon has been running 4 one whole day. Thnx, please help ASAP. I added so seachem reef complete, reef calcium, and reef trace elements. I think the first two reacted and formed my water to get so cloudy. But the weird thing is this has been going on for about 3-4 days. Any suggestions? Please help me out ASAP.

Merry Christmas

thnx, mike

Stop dosing and do more water changes, IMO. I had something spawn in my tank a few months back and it wiped out everything in a matter of hours. I don;t think your situation is as dramatic (lucky you).

update: water is still very cloudy, will be performing more water changes today. How lond do u think this will take to clear up. It obviosly was a reaction with chemicals (the supplements i added) Pla help me, thnx. Merry christmas:unsure:

I performed a water change. Water is slowly but shurley clearing up. Everything in the tank is fine. Water parameters are back to normal. Please offer any tips or suggestions on this issue. Thanks again!B)

ok i tested my calcuim today and it was ugly!!! It was at 1,125:*( What can i do to get this level down?? more water changes?? Plz help im really panicking now.:rant: I think i overdosed my calcium supllement way to much.X)

What test kit did you use that registered a Ca level that high? I've experienced elevated CA levels and it took about a month of weekly 20% water changes and no dosing to get it back into acceptable ranges.

will it harm my tank? i think this is the reason my water is very cloudy. It was a Seatest calcium kit. Its in a little purple box, the manufactuer is aquarium systmes. Ive been doing water changes daily and running carbo. Will this help? Thnx man, Merry Christmas

did a big water change today. Water is much more clear. The calcium is down to 650. Everything is doing fine. Thnx evry1 for your help and appreciation. Happy holidays, Mike:P

sounds like a mistake in the test read for CA. check your alkalinity. It should be very low. I do believe if you overdose w/ a CA additive it will precipitate into the water. If you have vigorous motion, it can stay suspended for a while. How are things now.

Archived