Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Coraline

jay2k2

What colour is coraline algae in the beginning stages? is it white then slowy turning to pink/ purple? because i am getting white cirlces on my base rock and i was wondering if this was the coraline i have been waiting for?!

Coraline starts as the color its going to be. I get little circles of coraline on my glass and rocks before it encrusts stuff. mostly pink, purple, blueish, army green. those are the colors ive seen.

How long has your tank been up and whats your parameters? coraline takes at least a month to really start growing after the cycle. it can happen sooner or it will happen later if your tank parameters are in line the two things it needs are, good alk and good calcium at least 450ppm on the calcium. if you have good seed rock for coraline it helps also :)

just takes time to grow

Hope this helps

Joe

my tank has been set up for 3 months now and the parameters are fine. Ammonia 0

nitrate 0

nitire 0

PH 8.2

Alkalintiy 5

umm

i don't know the clacium becuase i don't have a clacium test kit

i add sechem reef complete 2 times a week but i have noticed a incredible difference scince using reef completle the algaes have become more purple and much brighter! well it is a very light pinkish white on the rocks i hope it is coraline!

Looks like everything is in order now all you have to do is wait. are you adding calcium buffer? because if you are odds are your calcium is acceptable :) in which case all it takes is time and your whole tank will grow it.

Good luck and let us know how its going :)

happy reefing

Joe

Reef Complete is a calcium buffer/suppliement! and i also noticed tons of litlle creepy crawly things on my rocks there a whitish clear colour and they run around like crazy on the rocks! can some one tell me what these are and what eats them?! thanks!

do you currently have any LR in there that already has coralline in it. because they are suppose to start out the color they are going to be. will only bleech if the lighting is too high.

yeah i have about 20 lbs of live rock with lots of coraline!

i am talking about the BASE rock! i am just wondering if this is the earliest stage of the algae and will a red scooter blenny eat those things in the rock and sand?!

I am starting to get coralline purple algae on my pipes etc. Apart from small specks of green on rear tank wall, not much else on the glass.

The little clear specks crepy crawling around are amphipods, and coppepods. the coraline seems to be able to adhere to plastics easily... I have some plastic heads in my reef, and the filter stems are covered... not a trace on the glass though..... heheh but Im trying !:D

Almost one month to the day of setting up my 5.5 I am starting to notice little spots of pink and purple coraline showing up on the glass and PH... Woohoo! When expressing my joy to the Mrs...

I quote.. "You're not goin' to let this one look like a Pepto Bismal factory are you?, I don't know why you think that's so cool, but um, that's nice hon."

*shaking head* "Well I'm gonna keep it off the front and sides, nice toe polish babe" *looking down at metallic blue piggies*

Girls, sheesh

Jay2k,

If you really want to speed up coraline growth, get an ALK test kit and a CA test kit.

Make your ALK3.0- 3.5 meq/l

and calcium should fall between 400-450 ppm

Then scrape some coraline off an already growing rock in a good flow area and do not do a water change for at least 5 days.

It will go nutz quickly.

HTH,

Toy

I like to scream at the top of my lungs at the coraline..... GROW !

but it only works if U say it Philip. ( language spoken in many Pacific islands)

I tried it once with a NY accent......... EAH ! GROW U DOUM PIECE OF CHIEAT ! It all turned white and fell to the bottom of the tank........ I think I scared it.:eek:

Archived