Coral Vue Hydros

no food for a week...?

GPCRalph

Could a tank be left without being fed or supplemented for about a week with a top-off system and lights on a timer? Just curious

It depends on what livestock you have?

If you just have a fish and soft corals it can be done but its always a good idea to have someone you know and trust to look after things.

you can do without any supplements or food though. Calcium and alk might fall if you dont add at least those two (the only two additives I use) tank can do without anything else just make sure you do a water change to replenish all trace elements before you leave.

If you have hard corals or clams in the tank and your calcium & alkalinity levels fall you might run into trouble. or crash so dont leave your sps tank alone but softies can handle it it also matters how large a tank is if its > 20 gallons I wouldnt do it. if its over 20 your pretty safe expecially witha topoff system (just add a small amout of kalkwasser to the water your adding and you will be fine)

NaNO ReeFiN

Best thing to do is try to find someone you can trust to take care of your tank for you. There's been some stories on this site of people who went on vacation to come back and see that something horrible went wrong with their thank..

Guest LudavicoTechnique

Or your older brother... the 'brain' of the family . He couldnt even hadle a 20g freshwater when I asked him to.

LudavicoTechnique: Hehehehe.

My younger bro who is 24 wouldnt be able to handle my freshwater tank if it were to save his life! Hasnt got a CLUE when it comes to science and aquariums.

Oh, by the way, I like the use of your colour technique. :P

Very cool

NaNO ReeFiN

I remember you posting a story about you going somewhere for a while to come back and see that your tank was destroyed by something or someone... (your little cousins?) If I ever decided to take a trip anywhere, first thing on my to do list is fine someone with enough smarts to take care of my tank for a couple of days.

Archived