inTank Media Baskets

Tunicate or not?

caja

I've noticed that one of my zoo colonies has two of these growing within it. It happens to be the same colony that I have a group of purple clavelina sp. tunicates growing on the edge of it. These seem to have the main incurrent siphon opening like a tunicate would and respond and close quickly like a tunicate would, but I see no excurrent siphon. Unless they have the many smaller openings around the base. I haven't been able to see that close. I'm thinking possibly encrusting tunicate (Botrylloides) but wondered if anyone else had an opinion. thanks!

btw, night pic. zoos are sleeping.

I had a really large one that was part of a colony of sun polyps a few years back. Looked just like the rock. Ironically, after acclimating it, I took it the colony out of the bowl and just before I put it in the water, I got shot with a stream of water. Scared the bejeezus out of me. Hence, the name "Sea Squirt" It was pretty large (2.5" diamter) and evetually, zoos actually started to grow on it. Ended up dying, though. Take a good look at the rock: might have the same situaion. The pair of siphons are pretty pronounced.

Ken there's definatley two of them on the rock, possibly three, They are growing pretty quickly. When I got the rock two months ago I didn't notice them at all, now they are about as tall as the zoos and still growing. Pretty nifty things.

Archived