Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

WHAT ARE THE TOP TEN MOST UGLY FISH?

KevKapawski

LIST OF THE MOST DEADLIEST OR JUST DAM SCARIEST MARINE FISH!!!

The order of fish 1-10 is probably not in correct order of scariest but they have a place in top ten somewhere.

All the numbered pics are attached at bottom in order posted.

10. "Teeth" fish

(Saber or fang tooth fish)

Anoplogaster brachycera, the fang toothed fish, is a mystery. This sabor tooth fish lives in the depths of the ocean trenches where light does not go and deeper than other fish. Its fang-like teeth and mask like face have given it a place of honor for our Halloween animals for Nature’s Crusaders. They may look big and, the fang tooths are actually quite small and harmless to humans: the larger of the two species, the common fangtooth, reaches a maximum length of just 16 centimetres (6 inches); the short horn fang tooth is about half this size.

9. Mola-Mola

The ocean sunfish (Mola mola) is the world's largest known bony fish-11 ft. (3 m.) from fin tip to fin tip have been seen. It is found in all oceans in tropical and temperate climes,been recorded as far north as Alaska.

8. Grenadiers or rattails

Grenadiers or rattails (less commonly whiptails) are generally large, brown to black gadiform marine fish of the family Macrouridae. Found at great depths from the Arctic to Antarctic, members of this family are among the most abundant of the deep-sea fishes. Grenadiers are perhaps best known for their cameo in the blockbuster film Titanic, where the fish are glimpsed during ROV reconnaissance of the wreck.

7. GULPER EEL

A gulper eel engulfs its prey in its huge, pelicanlike mouth. Usually this eel eats small, slow fishes and shrimp, but its large mouth permits a varied diet. The gulper eel can unhinge its enormous jaws and stretch its stomach to consume a fish as big as itself. The gulper eel has teeth, but another species, the umbrellamouth gulper eel, lacks teeth.

6. Stonefish

The stonefish, Synanceia verrucosa, also known as the the reef stone or dornorn is a carnivorous ray-finned fish with venomous spines that lives on reef bottoms, camouflaged as a rock. It is the most venomous known fish in the world.

5. Wolf Eel, Anarrhichthys ocellatus

The wolf eel, Anarrhichthys ocellatus, is a close relative of the Atlantic seawolf. This eel-like fish feeds on crustaceans, sea urchins, mussels, clams and some fishes. They can grow to be 80 inches (203 cm), 41 pounds (18.6 kg). They are found in the northern Pacific Ocean, ranging from the Sea of Japan and the Aleutian Islands to northern California. The wolf-eel makes its home on rocky reefs or stony bottom shelves from shallow to moderate depths. They will pick a territory in a crevice, den or lair in the rocks. Contrary to their fearsome appearances, wolf-eels are not aggressive, but very shy and docile towards humans, and are not dangerous unless provoked.

4. Longnose Chimaera

Longnose Chimaeras - Rhinochimaeridae are a deep sea family of fish with six species within it. The long snout is used to detect prey. Chimaeras are primitive fishes and are closely related to sharks. Chimaeras have scaleless skin, and eggs that are encapsulated in horny packages. Longnose chimaeras have a gill cover which covers four gill slits. Longnose Chimaeras also have a venomous spine on the dorsal fin. Longnose Chimaeras are believe tofeed on invertebrates and various other fishes.

3. Lumpfish

The longest lumpfish so far recorded from the American coast measured 23 inches, and weighed 13? pounds; the heaviest weighed 20 pounds but measured only 21? inches (both from Orient, N. Y.), and the proportion of weight to length varies similarly in smaller fish.

2. Blobfish

The blobfish (Psychrolutes marcidus) is a fish that inhabits the deep waters off the coasts of Australia and Tasmania. Due to the inaccessibility of its habitat, it is rarely seen by humans. Blobfish are found at depths where the pressure is several dozens of times higher than at sea level, which would likely make gas bladders inefficient. To remain buoyant, the flesh of the blobfish is primarily a gelatinous mass with a density slightly less than water; this allows the fish to float above the sea floor without expending energy on swimming. The relative lack of muscle is not a disadvantage as it primarily swallows edible matter that floats by in front it.

1. Anglerfish

Anglerfish are bony fish in the order Lophiiformes, named for their characteristic mode of predation, wherein a fleshy growth from the fish's head (the esca) acts as a lure; this is considered analogous to angling. Anglerfish are both pelagic and benthic fishes of the abyss (e.g. Ceratiidae) and the continental shelf (e.g. the frogfishes Antennariidae and the monkfish/goosefish Lophiidae) respectively. They occur worldwide. Pelagic forms are most laterally compressed whereas the benthic forms are often extremely dorsoventrally compressed (depressed) often with large upward pointing mouths.

................................................................................

Here is a Video I found- Wild music but a good video :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OwGXN17nYMM

Keep em coming guys...I know there are uglier and more deadly things down in the deep :o

If your scared, maybe you need to have a look at the brighter side of life: http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/index.php?...hl=top+ten+fish

post-50278-1265214350_thumb.jpg

post-50278-1265214373_thumb.jpg

post-50278-1265214408_thumb.jpg

post-50278-1265214420_thumb.jpg

post-50278-1265214516_thumb.jpg

post-50278-1265214531_thumb.jpg

post-50278-1265214540_thumb.jpg

post-50278-1265214550_thumb.jpg

post-50278-1265214563_thumb.jpg

post-50278-1265215642_thumb.jpg

I think you pretty much found the top ten ugliest.

Any better pics would be nice... some to really make me scared :D

I'm setting up a 1000g pressurized tank so I can keep those really beautiful deep water species.

Lets see thoses pics. I never seen or heard of a pressurized tank before.

Nice list ;)

may not count as a fish but scary. just think it can squeeze through anything the size of its beak. open doors & jars. and is just about as smart as you. and to top things off, its poisonous. one of the scaryest stories i know of is, the oc that kept leaving his tank. walking over to a tank on the other side of the room, to eat all the crabs. then going back to its tank.

post-24770-1265221315_thumb.jpg

post-24770-1265221329_thumb.jpg

may not count as a fish but scary. just think it can squeeze through anything the size of its beak. open doors & jars. and is just about as smart as you. and to top things off, its poisonous. one of the scaryest stories i know of is, the oc that kept leaving his tank. walking over to a tank on the other side of the room, to eat all the crabs. then going back to its tank.

That story probably originates from the seattle aquarium. they have a giant pacific octopus (the current one is "buster") and they used to have problems keeping the touch tanks nearby stocked, until they figured out he/she was escaping at night and eating the nearby critters. when you go there, the water level is a couple of feet below the top of the tank, i dont know why that helped, but it seemed to.

The one there can open up jars and such fairly easily!

may not count as a fish but scary. just think it can squeeze through anything the size of its beak. open doors & jars. and is just about as smart as you.

I doubt a octopus could write hlm syntax. Where is the hmph smiley when you need one?

One of my favorite to see was a CW angler that had washed up on shore. Also, gulper eels are another fav fish. The ugliest fish IMO are yellow tangs.

neanderthalman

List is incomplete without pajama cardinalfish.

Seriously. Why people spend thousands of dollars for a beautiful reef setup, then buy a fish that would be ugly even by freshwater standards, is completely and utterly beyond me.

Archived