SaltCritters.com

Newly Mixed Saltwater Question

TriggerHappyDude

TriggerHappyDude

I just mixed up a new 5 gallon bucket of salt water and the SG is reading at 1.033, which is a little bit higher than what I usually have and what my tank is at, which is 1.025, will it hurt to do this small 5 gallon water change with the SG off that much? I have a 34g Solana tank, 5 gallons is not a big WC but afraid that this might throw it off too much?

FiRsT-aNd-LaSt

I wouldn't do a WC with the gravity that high, what I usually do if my new salt mix is to high and the bucket is full, I just take 1 gallon of saltwater from the 5 gallon bucket and then just add 1 gallon of fresh R/O or until the gravity is 1.025, if you have extra just save it for next week or just through it out.

TriggerHappyDude
I wouldn't do a WC with the gravity that high, what I usually do if my new salt mix is to high and the bucket is full, I just take 1 gallon of saltwater from the 5 gallon bucket and then just add 1 gallon of fresh R/O or until the gravity is 1.025, if you have extra just save it for next week or just through it out.

Ok, I can do that, cause the bucket is high, I will pour some out and use RO/DI to bring it down.

+1 You always want to have your SG and temp match your tank water. Also, realize SG will change depending on the temp of your water. You could always just do a little larger water change with the extra gallon. I've never seen my tank complain with a little less nutrients and some extra trace elements from a little more fresh SW:)

TriggerHappyDude

Let me ask a NOOB question to you all...

Ok so I know a weekly water change is very beneficial to a tank, but besides this, what other things should I be testing for, to keep in good levels that will not promote the nuisance algae growth...?

Seems I get that dusting on the glass every day or two, now some of the brown dusting on some of my corals (SPS), and there is a little bit of bubble algae and some fuzzy/hair like red/purple on the back wall.

I think I also have a small amount of Byropsis, which I don't know how to tackle either.

What do I want to eliminate to keep the tank algae clean, or is that next to near impossible?

If I can dose and or add supplements to help keep the water elements that cause algae under control, I'd like to try that, but is that possible? Is algae always going to be present in some form or another?

In other words, how do I eliminate the available nutrients that promote algae growth?

Can I starve most algae with a phosban reactor or a macro like chaeto?

I have read a lot of people using chaeto in their tanks sumps/fuge and never really understood why.

Is it because it can be put into a controlled area, allowed to grow, and take out the phosphates from the water while doing so, then when it grows itself, can be trimmed and removed easily? Is that the idea?

I test for temp, SG, alk, PH, calcium, phosphates and nitrates. The last 2 on that list are the ones towatch for keeping algae in check. Increasing flow will help too, but if you have SPS you probably already have good flow.

With SPS you will probably want to watch a few more params though.

TriggerHappyDude
I test for temp, SG, alk, PH, calcium, phosphates and nitrates. The last 2 on that list are the ones towatch for keeping algae in check. Increasing flow will help too, but if you have SPS you probably already have good flow.

With SPS you will probably want to watch a few more params though.

I have a VorTech MP40w in my 34g Solana, its running about 1/4 - 1/2 power, but there is plenty flow.

So phosphates and nitrates are what supply algae what it needs to bloom?

If I can keep them low to zero, the less chance algae has to grow?

I have a VorTech MP40w in my 34g Solana, its running about 1/4 - 1/2 power, but there is plenty flow.

So phosphates and nitrates are what supply algae what it needs to bloom?

If I can keep them low to zero, the less chance algae has to grow?

Oh yeah. They should ideally both be at 0. You will likely notice a better coloration in your SPS if you get them to 0 too. What are they at now?

TriggerHappyDude
Oh yeah. They should ideally both be at 0. You will likely notice a better coloration in your SPS if you get them to 0 too. What are they at now?

I don't recall in my last test...I will have to test again. I don't think they were high at all, and maybe zero, but I've recently started growing some of this algae I mentioned and not sure why. I did change out some bulbs in my light, went with a new configuration that was recommended, T5 lighting. Maybe thats why the new brown stuff is showing up on the new frags? (brown dusting)

Archived