ReefCleaners.org

26 AGA bowfront . . what lights?

darwin604

This is a question I'm asking for my younger brother who currently has a 26 gal AGA bowfront FOWLR aquarium. He wants me to help him set it up so he can keep some corals in there and I need some advice as to what lighting to reccomend to him. I have a 10 gal so its a different setup all together and I couldnt decide. I was thinking a 250W MH with 2 NO supplemental actinics . . I want it to be something that he can use for a while, not have to upgrade soon. Anyways, anyone with a similar tank thats has some advice that would be great.

d.

sounds perfect to me too...I would either upgrade the actinics to 36wattPowercompacts if anything (30watts or so normal output bulbs wont do much next to a 250 halide) or leave them out all together...just use a 20,000K bulb.

Hmm . . I think I'll go with 10k MH and then some PC's for the actinics then. I've never seen a 20k bulb but I'm not sure how the fish and non-fluorescing stuff will look under it . . ?? Anyone on here running a 20k bulb? How do the fish look?

d.

Well, went out boxing day and snagged a 250w MH setup. PFO ballast and pre-wired socket, Ushio 10k MH bulb, and a reflector. I'm used to my PC's on my 10 gal so when I got this fired up it looked pretty bright!

Although it turned out great, due to the size of the reflector / tank I dont know how I'm gonna fit the actinics in there. I'm not sure weather to bend / chop the reflector, find a smaller reflector, etc etc but it pretty much coveres the whole depth of the tank (about 10" not including the 'bowed' part). Anyone with a similar setup that could give me a suggestion?

d.

Archived