inTank Media Baskets

Phosphates+Coralline?

Falcon_Punch

Will high PO4 hinder the growth of Coralline? Everything is in check except for high PO4 and there is so little coralline. :huh:

P04=1.0 :o

Mg=~1400(Elos)

Cal=~450(Elos)

PH=8.4(API)

FiRsT-aNd-LaSt

I wouldn't think so, what's you Alk....to me the two contributing factors are Calcium and Alk, when one or the other is low, I'll notice a decrease in coralline growth.

It can hinder growth, but you should still have SOME coralline growing (if there was some there in the first place to seed it). There are a few tricks to help seed it into the tank if you dont have any already.

But +1 whats your alk?

I think it does. I read somewhere that with high PO4 it will slow down coraline growth. I think it is some kind of phospahte remover product that mentioned it.

How does having 'high' PO4 itself hinder growth?

I'm not sure why i would,was just wondering. I'll test ALK. It's high (The highest level that the Elos kit test for). There's SOME coralline algea,not alot as i would think with the parameters and in a mature system (4+yrs)

EDIT:And i'm using Pura PhosLock in a reactor on a 500G system. Just switched out the old media and put new media in last night.

GoodgReef: Wouldn't happen remember where you read this would ya?

Ok, Garf.org says to keep PO4 levels VERY low on their coralline algea prop info page!

"You must keep the Phosphate level in the live rock grow out tank very low. Protein skimming is important in the grow out tanks because it controls phosphate. Make-up water can be a source of phosphate. You may need a reverse osmosis or deionization system if your water source has phosphates. Feeding is the most common source of high phosphate levels. We use a phosphate removing filter in tanks that are not producing coralline algae fast enough."-Garf.org Garf.org Coralline Prop

First link on google.

I also found this from Jstor.org Jstor.org Something about a study in Zanzibar town about high PO4 from sewage which seems to have an effect on the grownth and calcification of coralline algea.

The only things I can think of, is that phosphoric acid, H3PO4, could inhibit growth at the local level.

And that it contributes to nuisance algae, which then that inhibits growth of coralline algae.

With the pH as high as it is, I would discount much of that first theory. But it is possible, I suppose. But then those H+s could just as well be binding with any other anions to form local acid. /shrug.

I just don't see a direct causal connection with PO4 itself inhibiting growth of coralline or corals.

All living cells need it(P). And when it is in excess, it usually just is not used.

Archived