SaltCritters.com

switching salts

scubasteve2580

scubasteve2580

the title says it all. there is so much controversy over salt that its hard to choose which to use.. ive been using IO for a while now and even though it mixes easily i hate playing with numbers. however it is consistent so i use the same adjustments every time. i used oceanic for a little while but noticed algae problems when i did. im thinking about brightwell neo marine.. can you guys help?? think sps.. what salt do you use?

I intially used Red Sea Coral Pro then switched to Reef Crystals. I've actually switched back to Red Sea. Both are good salts, but I like the Red Sea a little better. It has more stable testing and it mixes clearer.

Here is a link from that other forum.....

General guide to salt

Here is a list of what I measured for the big three in a number of the salt mixes we use today. This is intended as a guideline and I, in no way, guarantee these figures. All I can say is they were all tested under the same conditions, with a number of different brand test kits, using the same methods for each test. I believe these numbers are reasonably what you can expect from these salts mixed at 35 ppt or 1.0264

Calcium

Alkalinity

Magnesium

Aquatic Gardens

Brightwell Neomarine

CoraLife

Crystal Sea Marinemix

Crystal Sea Marinemix Bio-Assay

D-D H2Ocean

Instant Ocean (new)

Kent

Marine Environment

Oceanic

OceanPure

Red Sea

Red Sea Coral Pro

Reef Crystals (new)

Reefer's Best

SeaChem Marine Salt

SeaChem Reef Salt

Tropic Marin

Tropic Marin Pro Reef

Tunze Reef Salt

scubasteve2580
Here is a link from that other forum.....

General guide to salt

Here is a list of what I measured for the big three in a number of the salt mixes we use today. This is intended as a guideline and I, in no way, guarantee these figures. All I can say is they were all tested under the same conditions, with a number of different brand test kits, using the same methods for each test. I believe these numbers are reasonably what you can expect from these salts mixed at 35 ppt or 1.0264

Calcium

Alkalinity

Magnesium

Aquatic Gardens

Brightwell Neomarine

CoraLife

Crystal Sea Marinemix

Crystal Sea Marinemix Bio-Assay

D-D H2Ocean

Instant Ocean (new)

Kent

Marine Environment

Oceanic

OceanPure

Red Sea

Red Sea Coral Pro

Reef Crystals (new)

Reefer's Best

SeaChem Marine Salt

SeaChem Reef Salt

Tropic Marin

Tropic Marin Pro Reef

Tunze Reef Salt

what is the "(new)" out beside some of them for??? like instand ocean? everytime ive tested the numbers they are 360, 5, 1150. i should also mention that those number were at 1.026 api test kits.

what is the "(new)" out beside some of them for??? like instand ocean? everytime ive tested the numbers they are 360, 5, 1150. i should also mention that those number were at 1.026 api test kits.

reef crystals and instant ocean salt are a new formula now, they snuck it out

A previous post I made about my experience with neomarine:

I've been using their salt for the past month or so and must say I am very impressed. All the tests except for alk are perfect for what I'm looking for:

1.025sg

ca-420

ph-8.3

alk- a lil low at ~7.5ish

mag-1280

iodine-0.6

phosphate, nitrate, and silicates all test at 0

I think the numbers a few posts above for neomarine might be an exception rather than the norm. I know many people who have tested their neomarine water with the same numbers as mine. And after a couple months of switching it seems my coral are growing much faster than when I was using Oceanic. They also look much better in terms of health and color.

scubasteve2580
reef crystals and instant ocean salt are a new formula now, they snuck it out

when did this happen???? i just bought salt a few weeks back so i tmust have been more recent than that

A previous post I made about my experience with neomarine:

I think the numbers a few posts above for neomarine might be an exception rather than the norm. I know many people who have tested their neomarine water with the same numbers as mine. And after a couple months of switching it seems my coral are growing much faster than when I was using Oceanic. They also look much better in terms of health and color.

thanks for the reply. i have been really interested in trying it at the same time though i would like to find one that doesnt have to be adjusted.. which may not happen. then again those parameters are around what i have always adjusted IO too.

Using Instant Ocean now. I'm thinking about switching to a salt with lower alk. I'm having a hard time keeping pH to anything above 7.8, but yet my alk readings are well with range. So I think I'm going to add kalk to my top off water to help increase pH. However, this will increase pH, alk, and calcium levels. So if I use a salt with lower alk, it might counteract this and I'll just see higher pH numbers?

Also, I've tried letting more oxygen into the house, but I have an apartment so it's not easy...

when did this happen???? i just bought salt a few weeks back so i tmust have been more recent than that

Sometime last year before September.

You might still have stock left over from the old formula. I think theres a new logo on the bag/bucket of RC now that lets you know if you got the new formula. Not sure, i need to pick up some more RC for my other tank, if i get to it soon i will let you know what it tests at.

I started out with Red Sea Coral Pro Salt in a 24 gal tank with 5 gal weekly water changes. It took 3 plus hours for most of the salt to disolve in water, and I had to blow the residue around the bottom of the bucket several times with the mj1200 I use to mix. After 24 hours mixing, there was always a yellow/brown residue line at the top water line and still some crystals left undisolved in the bottom.

I mixed water at 1.024 and tested at 79 degrees. One day after addition my parameters were (I don't test for Mag) Cal - 400, Alk - 11. Four days after addition - Cal - 380, Alk - 11, I never tested the new water in the bucket. I needed to suppliment 3 days a week with a 2 part to bring the Cal back up to 420 and maintain it.

The only SPS I have is a 5" Monti Cap and 4" encrusting Monti and of course corraline algea to use up Cal.

When Red Sea was discontinued in my area, I switched to Reef Cyrstals and at 1.024 at 79 degrees, Cal - 480, Alk - 9 (tank 3 days after addition Cal - 440, Alk - 9). These numbers are after 2 months of water changes and no supplimentation (it hasn't needed it).

In addition, the Reef Crystals disolves totally without a yellow line at the top of the bucket in 15 min. I do use 1/4 cup more salt mix to get to 1.024 at 79 degrees, but I don't have to suppliment any more.

I use API test kits.

scubasteve2580
Sometime last year before September.

You might still have stock left over from the old formula. I think theres a new logo on the bag/bucket of RC now that lets you know if you got the new formula. Not sure, i need to pick up some more RC for my other tank, if i get to it soon i will let you know what it tests at.

that would be awsome. im actually in the market for salt right now. time to do a water change baad. i set up my refugium 2 weeks ago, i think it was.. anyway that was the last time any water was added to the system... i went and got 2 clowns and when i tried feeding them marine cuisine they would just pick.. so i made some live baby brine and they tore it up. they started looking alot healthier because needless to say ive been feeding them 3 times per day. i even know better and i still overfeed lol

I started out with Red Sea Coral Pro Salt in a 24 gal tank with 5 gal weekly water changes. It took 3 plus hours for most of the salt to disolve in water, and I had to blow the residue around the bottom of the bucket several times with the mj1200 I use to mix. After 24 hours mixing, there was always a yellow/brown residue line at the top water line and still some crystals left undisolved in the bottom.

I mixed water at 1.024 and tested at 79 degrees. One day after addition my parameters were (I don't test for Mag) Cal - 400, Alk - 11. Four days after addition - Cal - 380, Alk - 11, I never tested the new water in the bucket. I needed to suppliment 3 days a week with a 2 part to bring the Cal back up to 420 and maintain it.

The only SPS I have is a 5" Monti Cap and 4" encrusting Monti and of course corraline algea to use up Cal.

When Red Sea was discontinued in my area, I switched to Reef Cyrstals and at 1.024 at 79 degrees, Cal - 480, Alk - 9 (tank 3 days after addition Cal - 440, Alk - 9). These numbers are after 2 months of water changes and no supplimentation (it hasn't needed it).

In addition, the Reef Crystals disolves totally without a yellow line at the top of the bucket in 15 min. I do use 1/4 cup more salt mix to get to 1.024 at 79 degrees, but I don't have to suppliment any more.

I use API test kits.

thats goodf numbers

I started out using the older (not the newest) reef crystals and switched to marine environment and have been pleased so far. It's a 2 part solution and I have an old clean 29 gallon aquarium (has scratched glass so I don't use it as a display) that I mix it in. I check the paramters about twice a week in my main tank and haven't had to dose since my tank was filled with 100% marine environment. I've been happy with it so far. I only use about 5 gallons or so a week so it will last about a month. Its nice to have pre-mixed and pre-heated salt water on hand in case of emergencies.

scubasteve2580

i actually got some of the new oceanic. im out of alkalinity test so i couldnt test it but the calcium is 420. i was sorta impressed.

I bought some bulk IO a few months ago, and my Alk and Ca of my mixup water are 8 and 360 (1.025, 78ish degrees), my tank tests lower, been using IO for a few months and it's the only salt mix in the tank right now. I'm switching to Reef Crystals as soon as I can get to the LFS to get something with higher alk and ca.

Archived