Innovative Marine Aquariums

Asterina Star Hitchhiker?

Jennifer

I know this is probably a type of Asterina, but due to all the mixed information/opinions on these guys on WWM, RC, and NR, I think I'll release him into the tank and cross my fingers (he's still in the bag, so speak now if you think I'm doing something horrible).

I'd like to hear from anyone that can positively identify the species and whether this star is a coral-eater...I don't think it can be conclusively identified, but it's worth a shot!!

Do you think he'll eat all my softies and zoos and coralline, or should I roll the dice and hope that he sticks with diatom and the like?

was it a hitcher? what did it come with?

I had plenty of stars in my tank that did no damage whatsoever. I would inspect the animal that the star came with. Look for signs of damage that the star might have caused.

Toss it in and keep a close watch on it. Send it my way if you don't want to take the risk.

Yup, it was a hitcher...came on some zos from TLR. But, it's hard to tell if it did any damage or not. Bryan had wrote on the bag that he picked a sundial snail off that same zo (he sent along a "substitue" in case there was damage/problems). I can see one really damaged polyp, but it could be that the star was feeding off the damage already caused by the sundial.

I'm really leaning toward tossing him in. I don't want to destroy a critter simply on the off chance he may do some damage...and as far as overpopulating the tank...pulling them out if they get too numerous shouldn't be too much of a task with a small tank like mine (famous last words).

Anyone else want to contribute their .02? I'd love to hear some more opinions/experiences!

While I will say that I would toss the star in, do not assume you can pull them out if they become a problem. They will not be visible at all times and you will probably never find all of them.

Case in point, nice leafy frond that was attached to a small frag. I figured, cool, another macro that will grow and I can toss it in the fuge and have a small amount in the main tank for color. Small frond grew up and was actually bryopsis. A cup a week was pulled out of the 7 gallon tank and I still ended up ditching the tank.

Well, I rolled the dice, he went in last night...my 5 yr old daughter was very upset I was considering not keeping him, and my fiance really liked him, too. Here's to hoping I won't end up with a 7 gal star species tank! :P

A while back I had one and got mixed opinions on them. Did some research, found lots of articles saying they are coral and coraline eaters, so I figured I'd toss it.

Since restarting my 7.5 three or four months ago, I've noticed a couple in there. They don't seem to be bothering anything and the coraline is growing fine, so I'm leaving them be. The reef store I use has a 180 display tank with tons of them in the sump and some in the main tank. I figured if I notice them starting to reproduce like crazy, I'll just pull them and toss them into the sump. Although two weeks ago, I noticed one had decided to go over the glass partition from the main tank into the sump in the back by itself. Pretty cool watching him do that.

caja, I'm glad to hear they aren't causing problems for you! That thread was one that concerned me. I did read some info on WWM that proposed that they feed off damaged tissues of corals, and have simply gotten a bad reputation. We'll see how it goes.

On a side note: My fiance had some fun at my expense...he waited until I was in bed last night and then peering into the tank he says (all innocent and gee-whiz-like), "oh, look, there's the starfish, he's climbing on the finger leather!" :|

Of course he knew I'd freak and make a mad dash to the tank...jerk. :D

I had seven little ones come with the LR, so I tossed them in. They just stick to the rock or move around the sand or climb on the glass. They don't seem to bother anyone but my bicolored blenny. He doesn't like for them to crawl up the glass, he pulls them down.

hey deepblue it sounds like you got one of the coolest bicolors in the world. that has to be sooo entertaining to watch. "hey, where do you think you're going jerkie????" i'm sittin' here just laughin and imagining the joy he must bring you with all his antics and shenanigans.

Archived