ReefCleaners.org

Newbie Lighting Questions!!

nklieman

Hi - I recently got a used 7.5 Amiracle Cube tank that I am in the process of setting up. It came with a 13 watt Compact light that is fitted in the top enclosure. I plan on doing one fish and maybe a few corals, plus my clean up crew. Is this enough light or should I look at the JBJ 18 watts clamp on lamp, tge AH 2 x 13 retro kit or the CL Super Nova 32? I realize that with more wattage that I might need a fan which I can do. Thanks for the feedback!

Norm

AnthonyNguyen

what you might wanna look at , is what type of coral and what kind of coral do you attend to keeping them. for example: Mushroom dont require a lots of light, i dont know about other but 13 W is ok, u might wanna keep the Mushroom, but its gonna get boring, u might wanna get a lil higher than that, 2X13 sound good. if u wanna goes cheap, i can ask my friend's he working at LFS , he sold me one of the 19 W, MH for $20 buck's, i have it in my mantis 5.5 tank! which seem a lil crazy!! :)

I am a little familiar with that tank. I think you might want to do a 2x32watt setup. Not sure about the exact size, but my faves are the 2x36watt retros that ahsupply sells...they are about 18" long though...maybe too big...32s tend to be a couple inches shorter. Either way, a couple of these should allow you to keep the widest variety of corals and critters.

Archived