Cultivated Reef

Temperature doubt

DjHampton

Hi again to all nanoreefers, well i've done my homework and read all the articles in this page as other articles in different pages, and some of my questions have been answered but several doubts have come to my mind.

The one that worries the most is the temperature subject. I live in Sonora, in the northwestern part of Mexico and as some of you might now is in the middle of the desert but around 70 Miles from the sea of cortez, so the temperatures vary a lot, in summer we get around 113F and in winter we get to 42.80F. for example yesterday the temperature was 86.00F - 35.60F.

So my question is, at what temperature the water should be and what can be done to all this temperature changes? i know that i can use a cooler or heater, but, what do you guys recommend me?

I hope to hear from you again, thnx to all for the support B)

Originally posted by DjHampton

...so the temperatures vary a lot, in summer we get around 113F and in winter we get to 42.80F.  for example yesterday the temperature was 86.00F - 35.60F.

...at what temperature the water should be and what can be done to all this temperature changes? i know that i can use a cooler or heater, but, what do you guys recommend me?

schietzer! that's quite a range of temp change there! :o

you might want to think about adding a sump to whatever you setup. you can use a insulated cooler/chest for the sump to help maintain the temp because you have such drastic changes. drops or increases would be somewhat mitigated or held back as the 'cooler' insulates the water, which could be half or more of system's actual water volume. also the greater volume will respond slower to the radical changes of temp.

the sump allows you more ready-access to be able to apply ice bags, addt'l fans or addt'l heaters to emergency cool or heat the system. you can add the auxiliary equipment to the sump and not distract from the display tank.

most people recommend the tank's temp should usually range between 78F~82F, i run mine on the high end of that tho. hth

AnthonyNguyen

hum, weird, in houston, Tx, in the summer its get around 120 feel like, and in the winter around 35. like today its was 36-65. and my water always 78 at nite , and 84 at day time, when i used my light. 96 W power compact MH. its like perfect. "" in the northwestern part of Mexico "" , hum, dont you ever used AC/Heater?? if u do, its help !!!

well we do have AC, but i pretended the reef to be on the first floor of the house, and since i spend most of the time in the second floor i don't usually turn on the first floor AC hehe. I assume i'll just put it on the mezzanine.

So, going back to the subject i guess i'll do what AnthonyNguyen sais since he has the same temperature as i do.

Well thnx a lot for the help, i'll continue my research to see what else comes to my mind.

Thank you all. B)

Archived