ReefCleaners.org

is waiting over night for mixing water necessary

loveforfish

i been using red sea salt the past 4 water changes and i havent noticed to much of a difference from instant ocean. i usually let it sit overnight with 2 pumps, a heater, and bubble aerator. i do my water change and the next day my pH is 7.8? i end up after every water change to buffer it to get it to 8.3 but i was told i shouldnt and wont have to buffer it everytime? my xenia and zoas get dull and dead looking unless i bring it up within 2 days...

but for the question, i need to do a change right now in the next 6 hours. would it be a problem to mix now and let it pump and air for 6 hours before changing it out, or should is it that much more of a benefit to let it sit?

thats what i have always done too. but i have heard a whole lot about letting it sit over night, so thats what i have been doing since. i guess i just got a new mind set on this way.

thanks

I mix my NSW for about 10 minutes before I do my water changes...

NSW in CO? ;).. I mix my not so NSW until it's clear and at the right salinity.. then in it goes.

The instructions on my bag (yeah, I actually read them) says the waiting period is for gas exchange which affects the PH of the final mix. Can't say I've tested it, I just mix the stuff at night and pour it in the next day.

i use reef crystals and I test the ph on my tank 8.0

the fresh saltwater a hour after I mix it is 8.4

I wait 24hrs and then test the water and it comes down to 8.0

I use a maxi 1200 and a air pump with a air stone.

I used to mix it and just through it in the DT and I saw some stress on my SPS. I believe it was do to the PH swing. I have heard mixing a low ph and a high PH could cause a PH crash and wipe out your tank. So I think its best to wait 24hrs with proper circulation and then do a water change.

I used a API test kit

hmm... good to know. I've just always dumped it in. I've been inthe hobby for a couple years and I'm still learning all kinds of new crap.

I'm a little crazy, but I always have 15-30 gallons of saltwater mixing in a 30 gallon Brute trash can. It has two powerheads and I don't need a heater because it raises the temp to 78-79 degrees. I use Reef Crystals and Red Sea Coral Pro and my PH is always at 8.3. I switch back to Red Sea because it has less fluctuations than the Reef Crystals. I do buffer PH and alk about once a week, but I do daily 1 gallon water changes on my 24 gallon and a weekly water change of 5 gallons. I do a 25 gallon water change every two weeks on my 95 gallon, but have found that pre-mixing saltwater regularly keeps things clear and stable. Also, just in case I have an emergency I always have enough water at the right temp and salinity.

I'm a little crazy, but I always have 15-30 gallons of saltwater mixing in a 30 gallon Brute trash can. It has two powerheads and I don't need a heater because it raises the temp to 78-79 degrees. I use Reef Crystals and Red Sea Coral Pro and my PH is always at 8.3. I switch back to Red Sea because it has less fluctuations than the Reef Crystals. I do buffer PH and alk about once a week, but I do daily 1 gallon water changes on my 24 gallon and a weekly water change of 5 gallons. I do a 25 gallon water change every two weeks on my 95 gallon, but have found that pre-mixing saltwater regularly keeps things clear and stable. Also, just in case I have an emergency I always have enough water at the right temp and salinity.

i LOLed.

wat kind of pump are u using? turbines?

it takes a lot of power to heat water to up 70s. unless your room temp is pretty high.

in the summer i add ice cubes to get the right temp...

it depends on wat kind of pump u have. i used my maxi jet 900 and i hear the un-mixed salt get smashed by the impeller (i know its bad for it but its not like its doing it for 24/7) the water clears up useally in a few minutes. i let a bit of air get sucked in the maxi-jet to circulate before it do anything else to get the oxygen levels to equalize.

but on the other hand it takes 3 times longer for my rio pump to mix the salt to crystal clear.

Archived