ReefCleaners.org

Salinty

lily

So I got some RO/DI pre-mixed saltwater from my LFS, and I tested it, and the salinity is 1.019!! That seems low. I have coral, and my tank is at 1.022. Is that way too low? I just have some frogspawn, xenia, shrooms, devil hand leather, zoas, candy cane, and kenya tree. What do you keep your salinity at?

So I got some RO/DI pre-mixed saltwater from my LFS, and I tested it, and the salinity is 1.019!! That seems low. I have coral, and my tank is at 1.022. Is that way too low? I just have some frogspawn, xenia, shrooms, devil hand leather, zoas, candy cane, and kenya tree. What do you keep your salinity at?

1.025 is what i keep mine at, fyi if you can purchase DI or RO water and mix your salt in yourself you will be better prepared for any emergency water changes, and you can keep the salinity right where it should be.

sounds like your LFS is using as little salt as they can in their mix, trying to maximize profits i assume

This is another reason to mix your own saltwater. Otherwise, you're going to have to use evaporation to increase salinity without buying salt.

reefkeeping.com recommends 35ppm or 1.026

The ocean is 34-36ppm or 1.025-1.027.

So i stick with 1.026

That is exactly why I keep it between 1.025-1.026.

dont be lazy and mix your own water. LFS is a business and always trying to save a few buck or earn a few buck from you by cutting corners

1.026 for me.

Guess im the odd one out in this thread.

I try for 35ppt, 1.026SG. At 80F.

Most cells can handle lower than normal salinity(or SG), than they can higher than normal.

I would be more concerned with going UP to 1.027 or 8, than say going DOWN to 1.022.

Stores will keep perfectly fine livestock at lower SG and lower temps, usually for cost reasons. 1.019 is too low for me any day though.

And remember that water SG, density, is temperature dependant.

The red sea is actually at 1.027 all the time which a lot of our marine organisms come from there.

Thats why i said the ocean ranges from 1.025-1.027 :P

And farkwar i keep mine at 79 at 35ppt 1.026 (as per auto temp correcting refractometer and conductivity probe... before the probe broke...)

Eh...Many LFS keep their systems at a lower SG, therefore it isn't surprising that they sold you premixed water below what most of us keep our reefs at. Seems almost normal IME unless you specifically request a specific SG. FWIW, I keep my reef at 1.025 and don't regret for a moment when I broke free from purchasing water from the LFS.

I don't think a lot of Red Sea organisms are collected, at least for the North American market. Also, the Red Sea is not representative of the world average.

Archived