Pod Your Reef

Loc Line Pliers Needed or not?

Degener8

I am having an issue using even the stock pump. I have about 3-4 " sand bed in the tank and the pump clow is displacing the sand.

So i am going to put on a Y fitting and extend the lines a bit to direct my waterflow better. My wife wants to keep the interior of the tank as clean as possible.(gotta keep momma happy) I am not planning to use any additional interior pumps.

So do i need the pliers to get the Loc Line fittings together and apart or are they workable without the pliers??

I'll buy the pliers if I need em not a problem but hate to spend cash that would be better spent elsewhere.

Lasty who is your FAVORITE supplier for plumbing and the sorts. I been looking at Aquacave,com good selection and competitive prices it seems. All thoughts and opinions welcome.

Loc line sucks to connect/disconnect without the pliers but it is possible. That's how I've done it every time I've had to work with it.

bulkreefsupply is my favorite for plumbing supplies, they have everything and for pretty cheap.

So do i need the pliers to get the Loc Line fittings together and apart or are they workable without the pliers??

No you do NOT need the pliers to get them apart or put them together. I have used lock lines without the pliers on numerous occasions. Brute strength will work but it's not easy taking them apart. You need to bend the joint as far as possible and keep bending. With enough "umph" it will "pop" apart.

I imagine it would be easier but I have never owned a pair of the pliers.

No, just shove the pieces together. If you have a difficult one you may want to wrap a towel around the pieces (works for taking them apart and putting them together).

I have two dowl rods that are the same size as the ID of the loclines. I push the rod into the line and use that as a lever to pop them apart. Works like a charm. Puttin them together just takes a bit of umphin.

Awesome thanks for the quick responses.. parts ordered. Should be here in a few days .. rock is due to arrive soon.. once assembled I'll start a tank thread.:) Thing getting exciting for me now been to long between tanks :)

I just pushed straight down into the carpeted floor to pop them together. Took quite a bit of weight. I can't imagine taking them apart, luckily I got it right the first time.

• 3 weeks later...
I just pushed straight down into the carpeted floor to pop them together. Took quite a bit of weight. I can't imagine taking them apart, luckily I got it right the first time.

what nozzle tips did you guys use with yours? I like the standard biocube nozzle tip but it appears locline doesnt make a similar one?

Thanks!

• 1 year later...
Mr. Microscope
I put the male in the freezer and the female in hot water and they slid together without a problem.

Just thought I'd revive this thread.

I am NOT strong! I tried this technique and it worked beautifully! I literally had the pieces in hot water and the freezer for just a minute. In addition to the cold and heat, I used a towel to grip the pieces and push them together.

• 2 years later...
chgoblknazn

Just thought I'd revive this thread.

I am NOT strong! I tried this technique and it worked beautifully! I literally had the pieces in hot water and the freezer for just a minute. In addition to the cold and heat, I used a towel to grip the pieces and push them together.

I used the same technique on mine today and it worked brilliantly. Thanks!!

• 5 months later...

With the money we throw at these tanks.. the pliers are cheap and make things so much easier. Maybe see if you LFS has a pair they'll loan you.

Archived