ReefCleaners.org

Cloudy Water

Zepo.

My tanks been up for about a month now and it's been a never ending struggle with cloudy water. My specs are fine all 0, temp and SG all perfect. I've tried those regular blue filter pads, filter floss, and frequent water changes and it just keeps coming. :rant:

img0575th.jpg

That pic makes it look better then it looks in person.

I assume that your water change water is clear. Do you dose anything? What brand of salt mix are you using? Are you feeding the tank anything? Your LR isn't very porous; what type of rock is that? Does your sand blow around any? When you have mechanical filtration in your filter, does it get dirty quickly?

It's probably unrelated (unless it is a bacterial bloom), but I notice that you still have the bio-wheel in your filter. I'd probably remove it to help prevent nitrate production down the road and to concentrate your bacteria populations on your live rock.

I use instand ocean and my water change water is clear. My biowheel doesn't spin it just is there to restrict flow so it doesn't splash. I never dosed anything. I guess I'll try chemicals.

I used instant ocean when I started my 40 gallon and it was cloudy for a looong time until i increased the temperature. I think the problem was that I mixed it in cold water when i started filling the tank.. The problem was solved when I increased my temp to around 25-26 Celcius. I had no live stock in it at the time. What temp do you have yours running at? I'm not sure if this is the problem with yours. If not maybe a bacterial bloom?

corallineadam

yeah how many weeks has this been set up? only one month? i have had tanks be cloudy for over a month before when theyre freshly setup...

I never dosed anything. I guess I'll try chemicals.
I wouldn't. Instead, I'd try some Poly-Fil in your power filter.

polyfil_fiber2.jpg

You can get it in the craft department at Walmart. It's cheap, so replace it every two days until your tank clears.

I wouldn't. Instead, I'd try some Poly-Fil in your power filter.

polyfil_fiber2.jpg

You can get it in the craft department at Walmart. It's cheap, so replace it every two days until your tank clears.

I already have some and i used it in my HOB for a week and it didnt do anything really. My temperature is 79 and i do mix my water cold then warm it up... Hmmmm

Another problem I have. I just picked up a biocube in tank "Certified Calibrated" hydrometer because i broke my bobbing one and it's picking up 1.25 SG. I was thinking this is odd so i took it to my only salfwater LFS to find out they use a swingarm hydrometer also =|. They said it was 1.23 but I don't trust swingarms to be honest. Which one should i trust?? I cant afford a refractometer atm.

Edit: Wow i put filter floss again and its almost instantly clearning up.....wonder if it will come back again..

Another problem I have. I just picked up a biocube in tank "Certified Calibrated" hydrometer because i broke my bobbing one and it's picking up 1.25 SG. I was thinking this is odd so i took it to my only salfwater LFS to find out they use a swingarm hydrometer also =|. They said it was 1.23 but I don't trust swingarms to be honest. Which one should i trust?? I cant afford a refractometer atm.

Edit: Wow i put filter floss again and its almost instantly clearning up.....wonder if it will come back again..

You shouldnt trust either until you know which one is correct. Find a LFS that has a refractometer and have them test it against your hydrometer to see if its correct or if its off and by how much so you can compensate for it.

Thats good that its clearing up, i also would run some carbon like chemi pure elite. It claims to make your water nice and clear.

Archived