Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Clear hang-on power filter as fuge?

jneuringer

Or.....

Could one (has anyone tried) using something like an aquaclear or similar hang on filter with NO media, filled with plants only and a light.. (for the purpose of denitrification and nutrients)

If yes, then what size filter area / gallon of tank, and what are the best "filter" plants?

I noticed my local fish stores (most of them ) do NOT have saltwater plants.. Anyone know where to get?

• 2 weeks later...

I experimented with a AC300 as a refugium. It works great! Tons of critters in it. I took out the media basket added a small layer of LS, piled LR up where the water comes into the filter, to breakup the flow and put a surface skimmer on the intake, to slow the flow rate. Works well for me on my 55gal.

DO you know how wide the AC500 is? I'd like to add another bigger one but not sure if the ac500 is narrow enough to fit between the tank and the wall.

I Didn't think you were suppose to clean refugiums? I only scrape the side once in a while so I can see in. You can always unplugg it and then take the intake and impeller out to clean them. If the inpeller housing needs wiped out I use a Q-tip. But actually I haven't even had to do that. I just thin the algea, and scrape the side so I can see all the interesting things in there.

Its alot cheaper than getting a CPR hang on, And I have never had a problem with any of my AC filters. I've heard stories about the CPR HOBR overflowing, AC always just overflows into the tank, not onto the floor!

I must have missed something. LS and LR in my fuge? I have the AC500 full of plants with a light on top. nothing else. Did i miss the boat so to speak? All I want is for the plants to grow and pull nitrates out. do I NEED ls/lr? the flow rate is at the minimum the ac500 will do. Is that too HIGH?

thanks..

I grow plants and critters in my ac/fuge. I don't think you need the LS & LR, unless you want pods, little shrimps, and such to flourish in the fuge, as well as plants. Some just put LR rubble in the fuge for a place for the critters to hide and multiply.

I don't thinkyou missed the boat, but you can add even more life to the AC, if you want.

Good luck

• 2 months later...
matt the fiddler

ANY extra LS or LR will help your tank. i personally would do sand and rock in a fuge.. and algae.. gets it so you have a variety of life growing there.........

personally a fuge is a place where you can cram all you want wiht out worryign about the beauty of it- then put some light over it, and stuff thrives..

Archived