ReefCleaners.org

Internal Fuge (aka breeder net)

jneuringer

IF your purpose of having a fuge on your tank is to provide certain nutrients and nitrate filtration through plants, assuming one was willing to live with the obvious obtrusive look, couldnt we fill a clip-on breeder net full of plants, hang it under the light canopy and let it grow?

Advantage? Disadvantage?

I use those breeder nets as temporary fry holders...and they get messy fast and clog. I cant imagine trying to use one longterm in a reef. A better idea might be to make a box out of eggcrate and zipties (I have seen this before somewhere). If you want a smaller mesh, try the needlepoint mesh from a crafts supplier. Many colors and hole sizes available...many reef uses actually.

ive seen eggcrate used before, most fish wont be able to fit through it, but pods and what not can. Or if you want smaller holes, get the needlepoint plastic stuff from walmart for like $.15 a sheet, you could do it in black or blue and it wouldnt stick out!

I just bought one of there Convalescent Homes / Specimen Containers and drilled holes in it. Hey for 7 bucks and 4 minutes to drill holes in it. I can't complain. I hang it on the back of my tank near a powerhead.

Tony

Archived