SaltCritters.com

LED build for a JBJ pico!

Cheetos

Any pros or cons to using the heatsink as your ground on the LEDs?

It appears that that is how you wired it.

I'm not sure what you mean "using the heatsink as your ground"! LEDs don't get grounded. Maybe you could be a little more specific?

Sweet build.

I am doing pretty much the same thing but I have one kind of off the wall question. What can I do with that style of power supply to protect it? Can I put it in some kind of box? Would I have to add another fan to the system to keep the PS cool if I did put it in a case of some sort. I just cant see leaving that style PS open to a possible saltwater splash.

Thanks

I actually just have my power supply on the floor behind my desk (where my tank is). Never really thought about it but I suppose you could put it in some kind of enclosure with vents (like evil said!).

• 4 weeks later...
evanparsons

I seriously love the mirror polish. At first I was like, really? Then I was like, well, it prolly helps and can't hurt. Then I was like, ok, it's bad ass.

I seriously love the mirror polish. At first I was like, really? Then I was like, well, it prolly helps and can't hurt. Then I was like, ok, it's bad ass.

It is bad a$$! :D

• 1 month later...

So it's been a couple of months since I built this light for my 3 gal and have recently moved it over to my 7 gal cube. I figured I would be able to increase the light intensity on the new tank due to it's vast size over the 3 gal but I quickly found out how powerful LEDs really are. I bumped up the lights from about 25% to about 50% and bleached a purple cap that was growing nicely. :angry: I've brought them back down to about 33% and everything seems happier! You can see my new tank thread here: http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=227823

• 4 weeks later...
Crackerballer

This is such a sick build. I just pulled the guts on the same pendent and may end up trying this exact method only with a few more LEDs to light my Solana.

your power supply seems pretty beast for 4 leds, you will probably get a little more effeciency if you turned the voltage down, i think for the mpja potrans model itll only go down to like 20 which is still enough.

This is such a sick build. I just pulled the guts on the same pendent and may end up trying this exact method only with a few more LEDs to light my Solana.

Not sure if you can get enough LEDs in that pendant for a Solana unless you really squeeze them in. Let me know how that works. Pics are always a plus! :)

your power supply seems pretty beast for 4 leds, you will probably get a little more effeciency if you turned the voltage down, i think for the mpja potrans model itll only go down to like 20 which is still enough.

Yeah doc it probably is overkill but for the price I couldn't go wrong. I've been thinking about either ditching it and going with two smaller ones so I can run the blues and whites at different times or just adding another "beast"! :P

Yeah doc it probably is overkill but for the price I couldn't go wrong. I've been thinking about either ditching it and going with two smaller ones so I can run the blues and whites at different times or just adding another "beast"! :P

i could trade you for a 20v brick i have? its like one of those laptop supplies but it was used on a copier. the shipping from mpja is killer

Crackerballer

Cheetos where did you get your heatsink? Do you think you could squeeze more than 8 on there and it still be good?

Cheetos where did you get your heatsink? Do you think you could squeeze more than 8 on there and it still be good?

I got it at heatsinkusa.com. With tighter spacing you could probably squeeze 16 on it. I don't know if it will give you enough coverage in the tank.

Crackerballer

:naughtydance:

Cheetos what I was thinking is having a custom piece of glass made for my pendent so I could use a 10x4 heatsink and maybe cram 20-24 LEDs on it.

cheetos thanks for this thread =P

I am pretty much doing the same thing, except as a retro in a bc8.

I ordered pretty much the same things from the links you posted so it saved me a lot of time and effort!

I'm just waiting on my heatsink and 4 white LEDs to get in that i ordered from someone on this site.

on CPF they said a conservative estimate for leds+heatsinks is to have 12sq in per led at 500ma i beleive, and if a heatsink is being used that as a flat surface its 3x the normal area, so like a 12 by 12 heatsink could support 36 leds, which is crazy talk but a more practical application would be like a 6 inch heatsink from heatsink usa thats like 24 inches long could hold 36 leds, the fan makes up for the higher current i guess, but the best way to check is with an IR thermometer.

Archived