Coral Vue Hydros

Temp changes with lights on

kelp

I was curious how much swing in temp people see on average with their lights on? I haven't started cycling my tank yet, but I ran my lights a while to see what the temp difference is. I had the tank set at 76 and saw a rise to 79-80. Going to try setting heater for 80 and see if I get less swing in temp. It is 2 x 36 watt pcs on a 10 gallon. Lights sit about 3.5 inches from water, no glass cover.

I think upto 2-3F change is alright. Anything more and set your heater to stay near the upper range so that temp fluctuations arent too much.

Ambiant temp is VERY important to nanos.... If the tank is fighting to maintain 75, then the outside temp is wayy cooler.... BUT as it is in the oceans..... Thermaldines and upsergent currents are common.... Many corals will do ok in high temps AS LONG AS THEY HAVE HIGH O2 CONTENT and pristine conditions.(82+)

Ive seen first hand the effects of bleaching when a customers 1200 gal reef rose to 86+ degrees....... coral tissues lift right off the skeletons and drift around the tank. its bad. BUT moderate changes in temp will also cause different effects on growth.... Corals consume CA it 82 degrees 3 x as fast, BUT will NOT utelize as much of it as possible due to the fact that Magnezium potential Asorbtion rate drops off at 80 degrees. Confused?

Hell yeah...LOL no one said reefs were eazy...... Just keep the salinty and all the nutrients in check and the CA up and you will be fine..... if the tank over heats, use some frozen coke bottles or a fan to cool the water.... Research threads I posted a thread a montha or so ago about tank cooling.....

my nano is 80-81 at all times because i run a fan. with out the fan during the day it would get up to 86 and at night about 80.

Archived