inTank Media Baskets

ushio vs. aqualine(Buschke) MH Lamps

junglejim83

I'm in the process of setting up my almost not nano 29g tank w/ sump. I am going to light it with 1 250w halide pendant powered by an icecap e ballast. I've looked at numerous bulbs and this is what its come down to:

1)Iwasaki 6500k-great bulb, but dont like the color and for now I'm not supplementing actinics

2)Ushio 10k-great bulb, but not quite the color i want, but good

3)Aqualine Buschke 10k-i love the color but not as good a bulb from what i hear.

Any one use either or both of the bulbs on an icecap and have an opinion on them. Does the quality of one out weigh the other, is output better then the other, and thoughs on the color of both bulbs if you've seen both, or any other things you may think of.

Jim

Well, I'm running the 70W Ushio on an electronic ballast and swithced from 64W of 6500K PC......WOW! what a color difference!

I love the Ushio!

I plan on using a 20,000K bulb, 250watts, over a 25gallon cube, no actinic. There are many bulbs in between 10,000K and 20,000K if you decide to go with single-ended bulbs, but for DE, it's pretty much 10,000 or 20,000 bulbs. Keep in mind that as the K rating goes farther above 10,000K the PAR (the photosynthetic active radiation that corals need) levels go down...but considering we are talkin 250watts of halide over a 29...I doubt the corals would complain. You just might want to consider a bluer bulb than 10,000K if you dont want to have actinics as well.

Archived