SaltCritters.com

couple of simple questions

fuzzman24

ok so my side by side idea looks like it won't work so i have decided to put the fuge above the tank. i have a microjet pump that says it will pump 117gph and has a head max of 32 inches. so my plan will be to put the fuge about 1 foot above the main tank (a 20 High) and have this microjet pump water up to it. then i would like to have two returns. for the returns i am going to drill holes in the fuge tank and run tubes back down to the main. the two holes in the fuge will be about an inch from the top of the tank. my questions are what kind of tubing do i use, how do i connect tubing to a bulkhead, what size bulkheads to use and is my pump enough to do what i want? thanks for any help guys.

Jeff

Cutelilfishes

I'll take a shot at answering this for you. Refugiums are great, above the tank is in my opinion the best place for them. You'll get lots of good live food that comes back down to your tank. I'd not mess around with two returns though but if you have your heart set on it then do it.

Buy the bulkheads, I'd recommend a bulkhead for 1/2 inch pvc but it will most likely have threaded ends. If you can use 3/4 inch PVC then your bulkheads may have friction fit ends. (I'm not using the right terms here, hope you get the picture though). I'd say your pump is more than enough, I found that 2-3 times the refugium size/hour of water flow is nice. You'll not stir things up but you'll have enough water flow to keep moving pods etc from your refugium back into your tank.

If I'm not mistaken, for 1/2 inch pvc you'll need a 3/4 inch hole, for 3/4 inch PVC you'll need a 1 inch hole. I got my bulkheads first then figured out what size hole I needed.

Doug

Archived