ReefCleaners.org

AquaC Remora question

lbbspork

i recently bought an AquaC Remora w/MJ 1200 for a new ten gallon nano-reef i plan on setting up during winter break. my first question is

is this protein skimmer overkill for a ten gallon?

and the second question is

should i get the prefilter box, or is it too big and unsightly for a ten gallon tank?

ive been reading these boards for about 2 months now, and all the information ive read has been really helpful in gathering equipment for my first saltwater tank (been into FW planted tanks for a while)

thanks for any replies

It does an excellent job of surface skimming if you use the prefilter box. In my opinion a 10 gallon tank should do fine with regular water changes instead of a skimmer, but it might be worth having on there just for the aeration.

My experience with the skimmer box for the Remora is that it's too big, and I have a 21g tank. I really didn't like how much space it took up, and it didn't seem all that efficient at surface skimming anyway.

since reefdamsel mentioned that the skimmer box is too big for a 21 gallon, its probably too big for a 10. but where could i put media like carbon or chemipure? would a skimmer AND an HOB be too much flow? or can i put the media bag somewhere in the tank?

Archived