Innovative Marine Aquariums

Tuttnauer Water Distiller

kraqus

Hi,

I would like to know what you guys think about this water distiller?

http://www.tuttnauerusa.com/products/offic...water-distiller

I know is only a one gallon but realistically that is all I would need. it would take me a few days to get 29 gallons to start my cycling but once it's done it would be perfect for TO.

I read the descriptions and it does not say it is Copper but stainless steel instead.

It usually costs about $400 for that unit.

Anyone uses this thing out there?

p.s: BTW, I would not be paying that price. I found a good deal on CL

Thanks !

Benny

Yeah I am contemplating doing that too. But you have to install the unit, play with the plumbing in your kitchen, buy filters every so often and what not.

This one looks so simple, "plug and play" and gets....better water quality? (I know this is up for discussions)

Benny

Distilled water is lower quality than good RO/DI as it may still have some volatiles in it which get trapped with the steam and condensed.

The cost to operate a distillation unit is prohibitive. Take a look at the one you linked to, 750 watts. Thats 750 watts continous for 4.5 hours to make a single gallon of water!

A good reef quality RO/DI is about $150, requires a little maintenance at the 6 month mark, maybe $15 and a DI resin change at intervals, again maybe $10-$15 and thats about it. The cost of water comes down to less than a nickle a gallon including all water and sewer costs and regular maintenance and filter costs. Compare that to purchasing water from the grocery or LFS at maybe .25 for RO only up to .75 to $1.00 for RO/DI or the cost of electricity to run a distillation unit plus changings its carbon filters and the regular descaling and cleaning they don't tell you about in their literature. Think about it, the TDS and scale has to go somewhere(actually its stays behind and the steam travels) and it requires cleaning to remove it from the boiler. It also looks like the unit only holds a gallon of water so has to be manually refilled for each gallon you make, thats pretty intensive.

I would choose my own RO/DI ever time. They can all be used portable and a 75 GPD unit can make 3 gallons per hour at 50 psi and 77 degree water so no waiting around for 4.5 hours for a single gallon of topoff.

Distilled water is lower quality than good RO/DI as it may still have some volatiles in it which get trapped with the steam and condensed.

The cost to operate a distillation unit is prohibitive. Take a look at the one you linked to, 750 watts. Thats 750 watts continous for 4.5 hours to make a single gallon of water!

A good reef quality RO/DI is about $150, requires a little maintenance at the 6 month mark, maybe $15 and a DI resin change at intervals, again maybe $10-$15 and thats about it. The cost of water comes down to less than a nickle a gallon including all water and sewer costs and regular maintenance and filter costs. Compare that to purchasing water from the grocery or LFS at maybe .25 for RO only up to .75 to $1.00 for RO/DI or the cost of electricity to run a distillation unit plus changings its carbon filters and the regular descaling and cleaning they don't tell you about in their literature. Think about it, the TDS and scale has to go somewhere(actually its stays behind and the steam travels) and it requires cleaning to remove it from the boiler. It also looks like the unit only holds a gallon of water so has to be manually refilled for each gallon you make, thats pretty intensive.

I would choose my own RO/DI ever time. They can all be used portable and a 75 GPD unit can make 3 gallons per hour at 50 psi and 77 degree water so no waiting around for 4.5 hours for a single gallon of topoff.

Excellent point there! I had certainly overlooked that one.

Benny

Archived