29g, running for 2 years.

pH 8.2

Ammonia 0

Nitrate 5

Nitrite .1

Calcium 400

Temp 81

Salinity 1.025

I recently switched from CC to Live Sand.. I also went to a fixture which has 1x150 HQI and 4x24W actinics.

I had a small diatom bloom but some snails have recently taken care of most of that. But the last few days I have had a large number of bubbles forming on the sand and LR. Today I come home from work and they're everywhere! Tiny bubbles covering the sand.. the live rock, my new frag rack...

Could this be from the Halide being on too long.. should I decrease the hours its on?

Could it be from the live sand?

Basically, how do I get rid of them!?

Oh yeah... HELLO!

Hello to you too. The bubbles are probabley from the sand it is shipped wih air and water in it and probabley just was air caught in it. though you say "all over my live rock" i will need a picture to determine what your saying. if it bothers you too much you can pop the bubbles with something.

Thanks for the fast replies!! The halide WAS on for 8 hours a day, just bumped it back to 6 hours with just the actinics on for about 9 hours total then just moon lights at night. I feared it was the light so I'll try cutting it back. If it was JUST on the sand I would think it could be from that... but it's all over the rock as well!

Maybe this will help..

DSCN0160.jpg

DSCN0161.jpg

You can see them pretty good on the frag plug..

Have you tried popping the bubbles? Thee is an alae that makes bubbles but that dosent seem to be the case. Did this happen over night or were the bubbles spreading through out the tank? If it is an algae could be because of the light but i see your cutting that down to 6 hours

At first I had just a few.. then more the next day and so on.. but today when I came home from work it was like, okay i've had enough! I could't even see my zoa frags cuz of all the bubbles on them! You can swish the sand around or rub the rocks and they just float off but I don't wanna go stirring up the whole tank! I guess I'll cut back to only 6 hours with the halide for a few days and give you an update.

its from the awesome lights you have. I got the same thing with my 10 gallon with my 150w mh on it. They dont seem to bother or cause any damage. You can use like a turkey baster n blow them off but they will come back my crabs walk around and nock mine of the rocks n stuff

mine gets bubbles all the time too its just from the algae growing. just like plants do outside the algae use the light and oxygen in the water and produce carbon dioxide ( the bubbles ).

Archived