Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Filter & Media Question

epate

I've recently set up a 7 gallon MiniBow with an AquaClear 150 filter. I've noticed that many people will add "no media" to their filter description.

By "no media", do they simply mean no carbon but leave the foam block for basic mechanical filtration?

What about the little AquaClear or Fluval surface skimmer? For less than $15, it seems like a neat little addition.

Emmett

Emmett - Usually, people want the HOB for movement and a place to put their heater, maybe a DYI fuge, or place to run carbon or phosguard. That's why they remove the guts.

Those sponges can trap all sorts of food and crap and become the proverbial "nitrate sponge". The same thing can happen with a bag carbon thought. Regardless, remember to give your sponge (and even your carbon) a tap water rinse (followed by an RO/DI wash) every week and that should keep things nitrate free.

As for the attachment. I only have a 5.5....realestate is at a premium, so I decided to forego the attachment. I use a PH pointed "slightly" up, and of course the HOB return, and the surface stays perfectly clean.

Cool idea, I'll have to try that some time. Some of us do run mechanical filtration for a few hours or days to clean the water of detritus. Other than that, only carbon or other chemical medias should be used. You can use the media bags to get SOME of the detritus going through the filter.

Archived