Pod Your Reef

Premixing RO water

ralva365

I filled about 70% of my 24 gal aquapod with RO water and this morning I starting mixing the salt into the tank. It's surprising that even though I would say I put a good ammount on synthetic seasalt inside of the water my deepsea hydrometer is not giving me readings. I only goes up a small fraction of what it's supposed to. I take take to a small bucket that I have about 3 gallons in and it reads perfect. I'm a bit confused of what's going on.

I filled about 70% of my 24 gal aquapod with RO water and this morning I starting mixing the salt into the tank. It's surprising that even though I would say I put a good ammount on synthetic seasalt inside of the water my deepsea hydrometer is not giving me readings. I only goes up a small fraction of what it's supposed to. I take take to a small bucket that I have about 3 gallons in and it reads perfect. I'm a bit confused of what's going on.

As a ball park ( I use reef crystals or instant ocean ), I usually use take a coffee mug and fill it up twice to fill up a 5 gallon bucket a few inches from the top. I then add a little maybe half cup if needed.

You will find that once you do it often, you can benchmark how much salt you use.

PS. A hydrometer is not very accurate. How I recommend using one is to go to the fish store where there reef is kept. Ask them to take a measurement with a refractometer. I then would dip the hyrometer in into the same water and take a careful look where it goes. Then, you know that the hydrometer is in the range of where the tank should be. ( Assuming that the LFS ) keeps there salt at about 1.025.

Hope this helps.

- Larry

Archived