inTank Media Baskets

Dasani's 20H Tank of Epicness! (Pic Update 3-28-10 PG.3)

Dasani

Aquascape looks good. Looks like from the large brown algea bloom that I would assume that you have pretty high nitrates (without the test kits). I would suggest scrubbing down the walls and doing a 25% water change if you haven't already to help finish off the cycle. Oh and I've heard nightmares about those Kenya trees getting out of control large. But the armor of god looks really cool and colorful.

Aquascape looks good. Looks like from the large brown algea bloom that I would assume that you have pretty high nitrates (without the test kits). I would suggest scrubbing down the walls and doing a 25% water change if you haven't already to help finish off the cycle. Oh and I've heard nightmares about those Kenya trees getting out of control large. But the armor of god looks really cool and colorful.

So I posted this from my old screen name whoops. No longer have the Finnex tank working on a 20L now. And am just through my cycling process like you. Added a firefish and CUC and 3 Acan frags and gsp and a neon blue metalic and bright red mushrooms.

Dasani could you share the name and location of this LFS, I am looking for some place reliable in North Alabama. You said it's in the owners house, are they just doing frags or are they full service?

The store is fins and frags, they live near smith lake park on smith lake.

So new update, haven't done one in a while :)

Added 2 fish ;) 1 really nice Onyx clown and a really nice b/w occie :) Only $50 for both at my LFS so it was a great deal!

DSC01758.jpg

DSC01759.jpg

DSC01764.jpg

1 month anniversary update :) Tanks has been running since 1/8/10-

Re-did aquascape again lol, proly gonna add some more rock in the future.

FTS:

DSC01784.jpg

Close up on scape:

DSC01786.jpg

Also added some corals :)

Teal ring zoas:

DSC01792.jpg

Whammin Watermelons (freebie):

DSC01771.jpg

Proly my favs, the orange bam bams:

DSC01791.jpg

Orange Yuma ric (cam doesn't show the full color):

DSC01777.jpg

Comment or Complain ;)

I got 2 blue leg crabs atm, I'm proly gonna add 3 or 4 more of those and about 3 snails to keep the glass nice and clean. Question: Do snails clean rocks and sand like eat up diatom, or just clean the glass?

Snails don't care what you serve it on, if there is algae on it then they will eat it.

I have those little crabs, I've only ever seen them eat some hair algae that rode in on frag plugs. Other than that they hunt for bits of meat and detritus laying around. The snails are really the guys keeping the algae down.

callmesaul8889

i think you might need more than a 'few' more snails(depending on size of course). i have close to 25 small-medium sized snails in my 20g with a small spiny black urchin and they STILL have a hard time getting everything.

of course you won't need to add all of your CUC at one time(your tank needs time to establish a constant food source for them

by the way, i'm jealous of your clowns.. i cant find a decent black occie anywhere around here for cheaper than 55 dollars by itself. and their faces are always orange! :angry:

i think you might need more than a 'few' more snails(depending on size of course). i have close to 25 small-medium sized snails in my 20g with a small spiny black urchin and they STILL have a hard time getting everything.

of course you won't need to add all of your CUC at one time(your tank needs time to establish a constant food source for them

by the way, i'm jealous of your clowns.. i cant find a decent black occie anywhere around here for cheaper than 55 dollars by itself. and their faces are always orange! :angry:

Lol, I got lucky, this ones mate was all black as well :) but this one was about the same size as the onyx so I got the male black and the onyx was the male... onyx was with a reg occie. It was only $50 for both! I love my LFS :)

Update 2-13-10:

Added a 2 lb piece of I think it was called "tonga" Live rock... somethin like that... Gonne rescape in the future, it's just there for now. Also added 5 turbo snails, and a Frogspawn :) Also added a Koralia 1. I also ordered Bigal's ac 70 that was on sale... gonna turn that in2 fuge and make a DIY vid and put on youtube for you guys :)... Now pics!

Koralia:

DSC01808.jpg

Rock:

DSC01806.jpg

And my Frogspawn... has 2 heads:

DSC01804.jpg

DSC01805.jpg

DSC01810.jpg

Enjoy!

:blink:

Slow down there turbo... It is a good thing you are adding hearty life, but you might be creating some problems for yourself by adding so much so soon. Take a look at violinist's algae battle. You could be in much worse shape if you keep this up.

Just my $0.02

I just got done modding my AC70 into a fuge. I wonder what yours will look like?

Nice digs btw. Post pics of the new scape when you are done.

Sorry spring, pics didnt show. I know your just trying to help. What was in the pics, algae?

NVM I saw, DANG......... How did that happen?

Lol, that tank needs a shave.

In fairness, my algae problem was due to ignorance on my part not thinking I would have to cure dry rock.

Your algae problem is due to lack of CUC. The rule of thumb I've read (and it has worked out for me) is 1 CUC member per gallon. So might spend future bucks on cranking up the # of snails.

Alright lol, I have 7 CUC membys, does it mean 1 per gallon of water? or tank capacity? LIke would I need 20 since it's a 20g tank? or 15 since I only have about 15g of water?

• 1 month later...

Big update!

Been a while since the last update so I figured I would do another. Lots of changes and additions. Diamond Goby didn't make it :( anywho pics:

DSC01984.jpg

DSC01986.jpg

DSC01987.jpg

DSC01988.jpg

DSC01989.jpg

DSC01993.jpg

DSC01994.jpg

DSC01999.jpg

Archived