Cultivated Reef

Help me w/ this leather coral!!!

junglejim83

junglejim83

Hi guys. Three days ago i was at a local lfs in NJ (one that people have spoken very highly of and i do to) and i bought some kind of leather coral that is similar to colt or some kind of branching leather. It is a purplish brown color and round nubby type branches, and they polyps are a lighter shade(cream color prple/brown and the stalk is the same color...what do this sound like to you?). I saw this coral sagging in a tank but it still looked pretty full(also, it doesnt look like this frag was glued well to the peice of rock its on so itdoesnt have a strong base to hold it up) the polyps are mostly extended. Normally i would have overlooked this coral, but it was 15 dollars and looked pretty nice. Well, after speeking to a few very knowlegable guys at this store, they just felt the coral was alittle stressed and with a daily 5 minute iodine dip(dont worry i made the dip half as strong as the direction say) it would help bring this coral back to full health, and it wouldnt be a poor decesion to buy it(once again a very repudable place(absolutely fish)). And I'm not completely sure but there may be a slight bit of lightened color on the end of one of the smaller branches. Anyway, what step should i take to bring this coral to full health. Could it be a healthy specimen and just be glued poorly. The stalk seems firm and all the sagging is from the attachment point. Any other thoughts on the situation? And no the condition of the coral hasnt gotten worse since i got it. Well any advise would be appreciated.

Jim

Very recently one of my leather corals wasn't looking very good at all- it was shrunken, darkened, and sagging with no polyps coming out. The general advice was just to wait a couple days and see how it goes. Sure enough, 2 or 3 days later, the leather started to perk back up and now it looks great. Apparently leathers go through some sort of cycle, so hopefully that is what is happening with the leather you got. How long have you had it in your tank?

junglejim83

I was just looking at the coral and it seems the small but that was attached to the rock it almost tearing under the wiehgt of the hanging coral. Otherwise the condition of the coral seems the same. Do you think i should just cut the thread of tissue its hanging from and re-glue it w/ superglue gel to another rock?

personally i wouldn't cut it but support it so that peace of tissure conecting it to the rock dosn't have any strain or pressure on it. if its heathly, or gets back to full heath shortly, it will continue to attack better to the rock.

it sounds more like a colt-type than a leather-type coral. is it slimy or leathery will answer that.

if it's a colt give it a 'light breeze' of current. chances are the purchase/acclimation and its 'stress' at the lfs will cause it to exude slime. you need to give it current for getting rid of that coating and general circulation. infection and parasites are key issues to address. i never like to dip a coral and that just stresses it more imo.

if it's a leather and it's only holding by a thread it's most likely undergone some trauma. bright light and time will heal it.

Goof waterflow and light usually helps a stressed out coral recover.

I guess you can only give it these two and see how it goes. Not too sure about the dips though.

hi ive bought some corals not doing so well in the lfs

best to place them in good light and if it is falling over

or unataching to the rock prop it up against other rock or side of aquarium

some gentile water flow will help

to moveing it around stresses it more :( i do not move them unless

they look like they need more light or water flow ect.. and only after the coral has been in one place in the tank for a wk or atlest 4 days

and put small amount of invert feed in tank to feed it

if its not dieing it should perk up

good luck:flower2:

Archived