Cultivated Reef

mdannyg's 33.5 gallon

mdannyg

• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nice tank. Can I get some more explanation on the overflow and return please?

What overflow is that, that it comes in clear?

I know its the ADA lily pimp for the return but what pump is it attached to.

Also some pics of the rear from the side.

thanks sp much!

• 4 weeks later...

wow, thanks guys. right now i'm battling aiptasia though. :(

Nice tank. Can I get some more explanation on the overflow and return please?

What overflow is that, that it comes in clear?

I know its the ADA lily pimp for the return but what pump is it attached to.

Also some pics of the rear from the side.

thanks sp much!

sorry, didn't see this question sooner.

it's a Lifereef overflow box. it was the only one i could find at the time that came in clear.

http://www.lifereef.com/siphon.html

the return pump i'm using in the sump is a Hydor Seltz.

Not sure how i missed this thread but you have a very beautiful tank! It also really makes me miss ATI bulbs, i can't stand my Giessman bulbs, they are so white.

Hey danny have you tried berghia nudibranch?They do an incredible job.

no, i was going to, but to get 3 i think it was going to be $80 shipped from the site i was using. I decided to try more peppermint shrimp from my LFS again. I've never had luck with them though, they always die on me in a week. These ones seem to still be alive but haven't touched the aiptasia yet, but hopefully...

Not sure how i missed this thread but you have a very beautiful tank! It also really makes me miss ATI bulbs, i can't stand my Giessman bulbs, they are so white.

i just switched one of the white ones i had for an ATI Purple plus which i love. i didn't think i would, but i'm really happy with it.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

yeah its bad, heh. well, the good is that i've gotten rid of the aiptasia thanks to the peppermint shrimp, but now i have tonsssss of hair algae and the awful red gelidium which is now almost everywhere. All this is even more confusing since ive still never had any nitrates of phosphate readings with any of the test kits ive tried. And im still vodka dosing and don't feed much at all. maybe old tank syndrome? Ive started just manually removing it when i do water changes which is actually kind of fun. I think it may be starting to thin out, so we will see. Most of the SPS is still thriving though. :huh:

yeah its bad, heh. well, the good is that i've gotten rid of the aiptasia thanks to the peppermint shrimp, but now i have tonsssss of hair algae and the awful red gelidium which is now almost everywhere. All this is even more confusing since ive still never had any nitrates of phosphate readings with any of the test kits ive tried. And im still vodka dosing and don't feed much at all. maybe old tank syndrome? Ive started just manually removing it when i do water changes which is actually kind of fun. I think it may be starting to thin out, so we will see. Most of the SPS is still thriving though. :huh:

Glad to hear you got rid of the aiptasia. Sorry to hear about the algae. maybe time to change the bulbs? I still get spots of bubble algae and cyano but not too bad. How about an updated FTS its been a year and a half since your last update :P

Wow this is only your first?

My 7th tank doesn't even look close to as good as this lol.

Tank is looking amazing man!!!!!!!

• 1 month later...

just ordered some dry rock today. im going to get rid of all my live rock and start a new scape, trying to keep as many corals as i can. my live rock has become so riddled with algae that this seems like the best idea for the tank. and i'm more inspired by the ultra hardcore minimal tanks lately. the ones where all you can see is a few beautiful sps colonies but can't even tell there is live rock there. i'm kind of over the rock tower thing.

today is the first day i've actually been excited about my tank again in months. i also got a coral beauty angelfish last month which is doing pretty well too. He hasnt nipped at any corals or been aggressive at all.

just ordered some dry rock today. im going to get rid of all my live rock and start a new scape, trying to keep as many corals as i can. my live rock has become so riddled with algae that this seems like the best idea for the tank. and i'm more inspired by the ultra hardcore minimal tanks lately. the ones where all you can see is a few beautiful sps colonies but can't even tell there is live rock there. i'm kind of over the rock tower thing.

today is the first day i've actually been excited about my tank again in months. i also got a coral beauty angelfish last month which is doing pretty well too. He hasnt nipped at any corals or been aggressive at all.

Cant wait to see the new scape danny...As i thought your current scape was among the most unique ive seen. How about one more FTS before you change it up?

Thanks for taking the last FTS before the change. Can't wait to see what you will come up with! Hey danny i live in orlando now from my recent move but just wanna ask if there is any good LFS around your area? i was planning to come down to Clearwater if the weather permits for next weekend. thanks!

best regard

David

Coral Corral is probably my favorite, although i haven't been there in a while. It's probably the biggest reef LFS i've ever been to. It's not that far from Clearwater either. Fish and Other Ichty Things is almost across the street from it too, but I've only been there once and wasn't that crazy about it. I think there might be a few more near Clearwater in Pinellas County but I haven't been to those.

http://www.thecoralcorral.com

I also really like Creative Aquariums which is in south Tampa.

http://www.creativeaquariumsoftampa.com

I almost forgot Marine Warehouse which has a big selection of both fresh and saltwater.

http://www.marinewarehousetampa.com/

Thanks d, I will definitely go checks those store out probably next week. Have you started on the scape yet?

no, i'll probably do it next weekend if my rocks arrive by then.

i guess i might as well post some of the tanks that have been inspiring me lately. i'm sure you all have seen some of these.

ive always liked the organic look of this one.

post-48571-1340587628_thumb.jpg

the famous Glassbox. i'm planning on keeping my sand though.

post-48571-1340587823_thumb.jpg

Leonardosreef.com, his new tank (i loved his previous ones too). This is actually what made me decide to do something different. wow.

post-48571-1340587948_thumb.jpg

besides the amazing sps colonies, i think i'm really just drawn to these more horizontal scapes:

post-48571-1340588046_thumb.jpg

I was always really impressed with andres iwagumi scape.One of the sickest implementations of that scape ive ever seen in a reef tank.

so i was looking closely at my sand today and noticed that there are some strands of the dreaded red turf algae in the sand (thats the whole reason im getting rid of my rock). sooo do i replace the sandbed, or should i use this opportunity to try barebottom? i'll probably just replace it, but not quite as deep as before. maybe a half an inch. i'd also like to get some prettier, more white sand. the sand i used before was just the stuff they have at Petco.

i hate the idea of trying to remove my whole sandbed. i do vacuum it once a week so im not worried about any big toxic release, but just trying to get it all out. every time i've tried to siphon it out it just ends up clogging the siphon.

if anyone wants to try to talk me into barebottom, feel free.

Paint it white sand underneath the glass outside bottom and go for bb. More flow easy to siphon out the nasty stuff

Archived