Innovative Marine Aquariums

Photoperiod and ambient light

zzpw3x

I have just set-up my 10G nano with a 96W powerquad. It is cycling right now and I just have some questions about the photoperiod and ambient lighting.

How do you control ambient light? Is it an issue? My nano is in the living room which has some lamps on in the evening. Will these affect the nano? I could either cover the tank in the evening so that the ambient light is blocked off, or I could start the photoperiod around 11:00AM and end it around 9:00PM so that the ambient light is not as much of an issue. However, if I start the light cycle so late in the morning, I will have ambient light issues from the sunlight (not direct) in the morning hours. Am I making this into a bigger deal than it really is?

Dale

yep...you're makin' it bigger than it is....

Photoperiods vary, but are usually 10-12 hrs. per day.

Unless you have a light directed at the tank 24hrs a day, the amount and intensity of ambient light entering your tank is not an issue...

Some people use LED's to act as "moonlight" to better replicate the true light cycle of a tropical reef. Supposed to help with spawning and such. Maybe they do, although I just think my blues look neat.

Unless the tank is in direct sun (which might lead to algae outbreaks), I don't think you'll have a problem...

Archived