Innovative Marine Aquariums

Another picture of my 5 1/2

GobyMan

Well I actually added a heater to the tank because at night the temp would drop to about 73 degrees. The temp has been stable since then not going below 80 degrees and not going above 82 degrees. I think the fan inside the hood helps a bunch.

NaNO ReeFiN

Maybe it's the camera or something but it doesn't look that bad (meaning too bright..) Looks very nice! :D

wondering how long it will take for the tank to grow into the lights. Someday in the future the tank will outgrow the lights, leave home and start a family of it's own. So sad.

Well, I wanted a bigger tank but with a wedding to plan and a fiancee on the edge, I didn't want to push my luck. I'll be getting a bigger tank after the first of the year when we move into a bigger place :D

Originally posted by Crakeur

wondering how long it will take for the tank to grow into the lights.  Someday in the future the tank will outgrow the lights, leave home and start a family of it's own.  So sad.

ahahaahahahhah!

Sweet set-up for sure, very nice. One fast suggestion. That power head is a little over-powering :-) visuall. I would switch out for 2 smaller PHs and place them behind your rock work. This would afford you three advantages: 1) Look better 2) More varied flow if you set then up facing each other 3) Possibly use a wave timer in the future.

I would love to be able to do that, but is there a powerhead with a smaller footprint? The one in the picture is a Rio 50. I have a wave timer I used for one of my larger tanks awhile back, if I could get my hands on a couple smaller powerheads, I could break it out of storage.

I guess the only other problem would be putting them behind the rocks. I have my LR almost against the back glass of the aquarium to provide a bunch of room to the front. I don't think I want to re-arrange the structure at this point....

Actually the same company that makes Maxi Jets also makes a line of PHs called Mini Jets, I have found them superior to RIO in reliablity and performance. I use their mini jet with a max flow of 117GPH and the footprint is very small, smaller than the RIOs. The mini jet I have also came with three different flow control nozzles which is very handy. Take a look next time your at the LFS. I am running a Penguin Mini and a mini jet right now. I am considering adding another mini jet and a timer myself.

Yes, I am going to replace my powerheads --Maxi-Jets with the new Mini-Jets. They are alot smaller and should do quite nicely on a reef tank.

Two or three would do nicely on my tank.

Would be quite suitable on your tank too.

NaNO ReeFiN

How much smaller are the Mini Jets compared to the Rio's...? I might want to replace one of my Rio90's if it's smaller in size.

Archived