ReefCleaners.org

Michael's 20L Reef Tank

ticklem

PIcs? You should add your tank to the 20L list, last link in my sig:

Well I went and added my tank. I wish mine was as far along as your but unfortunately I broke my old tank completly down and had to start from scratch again on all my livestock so I am working my way back slowly. I just wish I could get a little pruple in there it makes things so much nicer. Oh and where did you make your banner I saw that you made one for SoCal???

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply
westcoastreefer84

Could you take a better picture of your stand, maybe with the flash. It looks very nice, but the pics are dark, I can't see the details.

Looks like a great setup. I think the light is a bit excessive though. 8hrs a day is a lot to run a 250, but that's just my opinion. To each its own. I run my 250 phoenix for 4hrs a day. Anything more then 5 a day and my zoas don't seem to happy. I keep a mixed reef, and sps do great with only 4hrs a day. However my photoperiod is 17hrs/day with my leds coming on at 9am and going off at 2am.

Good luck though, looks like a great start.

Could you take a better picture of your stand, maybe with the flash. It looks very nice, but the pics are dark, I can't see the details.

Looks like a great setup. I think the light is a bit excessive though. 8hrs a day is a lot to run a 250, but that's just my opinion. To each its own. I run my 250 phoenix for 4hrs a day. Anything more then 5 a day and my zoas don't seem to happy. I keep a mixed reef, and sps do great with only 4hrs a day. However my photoperiod is 17hrs/day with my leds coming on at 9am and going off at 2am.

Good luck though, looks like a great start.

I will post a pic of the whole setup it is actually in a really nice cherry entertainment center that my tv outgrew. But perfect for my 20L and I have the light suspended from the top. Actually pretty sweet.

Yeah I am not very happy with my light at the moment I am contantly looking at T5's. I think the new finnex fixture with the built in LED's looks pretty sweet so I might be getting that pretty soon.

Looking good so far! I like the two island better as well... With the light - are you unhappy with the color - heat? I am curious if the MH covers all of the tank being 30" long?

Every once in a while Current lists their refurbished lights on Ebay... The 30" current T5 96W is usually about $119 when they put it up. Good light and coverage - low heat and a lot of bulb (color) options.

Can't wait to see the new fish!

Some more photos...Don't expect much starting from scratch and only 1.5 months in!!!

FTS

SDC10903.jpg

Happy Firefish

SDC10909.jpg

One of my Ocellaris Clowns

SDC10910.jpg

Neon Green Zoas

SDC10914.jpg

FTS under Moonlights

SDC10918.jpg

So some updates on the tank.

For some reason my Xenia has shriveled and just has hard looking palms now that are not pulsing. It is not dead but I don't know what its deal is I didn't change anything in the tank so I'm just going to wait it out and see what happens.

Also got my pair of clownfish from Petco ( stupid I know but they were cheap ) and one of them came down with a really serious case of Ick!!!! So basically I thought he was a gonner....But guess what after just laying on the sand bed for like 3 days barely moving and not eating I put double dose of API stress coat and fed some old antibactireal food not sure that he actualy at the food but he swallowed and spit out alot. And yesterday he was basically cured eyes had cleared up and were nto foggy and most of the white spots were gone. I am very excited because I was thinking it was going to take out my other clown and prolly my firefish too and I would have to wait a month to add more fish to watch. So I don't know if the stress coat helped or what but if you have ick problems I would give it a shot.

I think I will take some new photos tonight and post them up since it has been a while since I have posted any pictures. Not much has changed though I am waiting till I get a new light before I get anymore corals because I feel like I am frying the ones I have with my 380 watts over my 20L.

• 3 weeks later...

Mice 20 L. Did you get a sundial? I have had one for a while now, about to change the bulbs a third time.

I would like to see picks of your tank before and after when you get new lights, thanks. Xenia can be hit or miss. Let your tank age more and try another piece. If it likes your tank it will spread like crazy.

Mice 20 L. Did you get a sundial? I have had one for a while now, about to change the bulbs a third time.

I would like to see picks of your tank before and after when you get new lights, thanks. Xenia can be hit or miss. Let your tank age more and try another piece. If it likes your tank it will spread like crazy.

Got my new bulbs in today for my sundial 2 x ATI Blue + 1 x KZ purple 1 x GE 6500 I hope it looks nice I think it will pluas plenty of par. My MH was nice but I think this will be more effecient. Will get picks up prolly tom night seing as my used sundial did not come with legs and the legs I ordered should be arriving tom.

Also got some new fish the clowns did not make it. Got a six line and a baby yellow tang both doing very well so far. Tang has done an amazing job cleaning the algea from the tank. Fire fish likes these 2 guys much better than he liked the clown fish.

Where's the pics?

Sounds like a good light combo!

can't give personal experience on the tang as I have never had one. I have read they do not do well in smaller tanks and I have seen some pretty brutal posts in the past. Do a google search on tangs and requirements. Remember, they can grow 8+ inches and in a 30 inch long and 12 inch high tank - they would get stressed out by confinement pretty quick (they are VERY active swimmers)

Not trying to burst a bubble on the new fish - just food for thought.

• 2 weeks later...

Very interested in how you like the bulb combo. That is the one I am looking at getting. I just want to make sure it is right. I am looking for crisp white with blue tint, is that accurate to how it looks?

• 3 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Here are more new Corals in my tank

Lots of new stuff since last post : )

Watermelon Chalice

SDC10399.jpg

Another Chalice not sure of the name

SDC10416.jpg

Blue Cloves

SDC10402.jpg

Cheap Green Acans

SDC10403.jpg