Pod Your Reef

Help!! Frogspawn's not doing too well.

southpaw23

Hi all...

I can't seem to figure out what's up with my frogspawn. i got the frag off the LFS this past weekend, it wasn't in pretty good shape to begin with....the frag had to heads with one of the heads colony dead and the other seemed fine....i had the LFS cut off the dead branch and brought home the frag with the single head. If you could take a look at my thread, you'd see the frag which completely opened on the first few hours into the tank....seemed to be doing fine but i woke up the next morning to find it completely retracted...and it's been that way for the past 3 days.

A lil bit of background on the tank...it's been up for the past 7 weeks....before the two frags were introduced, i had 2 other corals, a green mushroom and some zoos as well as a yellow feather duster....all were doing fine when the frogspawn and torch was introduced....

Anyone know what's up??....water parameters seem fine....i haven't checked on other levels yet but nitrates were around 5ppm. the torch coral which i added at the same time as the frogspawn seems to be doing fine tho....feedback and input would be greatly appreciated at this point in time.

one more weird question....what happens to a tube worm that's without a tube? i kinda bought a beatiful tubeworm and realsed when i got home that it was just the worm that i bought without it's tube....stupid i know but i'm thinkin the poor fella musta be stressed out....i placed him in a little cave like structure and he's gone and burried himself under a rock....is he gonna make it...will try and get pictures sometime soon to give ya'll a better idea....

help needed.... :(

Not sure, why but I know when I lost a head of frogspawn it turned to brown mush, if It's just retracted give it a couple days to get used to your system did you acclimate it?

Brown mush eh?.....thankfully, that's not the case with mine....it's just been retracted but i guess i am guilty of not really acclimating the frag :blush: i should know better than to listen to the LFS....but the funny thing is that...even without acclimating, the frag expanded after only an hour in the tank.....and it seemed to be doing fine except i was a little worried about the flow...it was on the low to medium side.....so anyways...i didn't do anything to it till morn but by then it was almost fully retracted....i then tried moving it to a higher flow area but still no luck...it's been fully or semi retracted for the past 3 days....

should i just give it more time? i'll be sure to look out for signs of mush :x

It won't like high flow. They expand more with lower flow.

It is probably shocked from not getting aclimated.

A tube worm can make another tube, but usually when they abandon their tube they are just about dead.

Thanx for the heads up Dingo....i've gone ahead and moved the frag to a lower flow area and yesterday it was opening up some....i hope that's a good sign...although it looked like it might have lost some color, the green is not as striking as it was when i first got it.....i'm to assume and hope that he will regain his color in time and if conditions are right? ???

And good to know that the tube worm is able to make another tube.....i don't know when the original tube was abandoned but when i found it at the LFS, it was just the worm (which i hadn't realised at the time) Anyways, i've checked on it yesterday and it seems to be doing alrite....it's stuck itself in a cave below one of the rocks but it's head is still out....only retracts once in a while....i'm to assume that in time....it'll build a whole new tube for itself in that cave? my only other concern is that...i think the cave it crept into might belong to the pistol shrimps in my tank (i found two lil ones yesterday....and i'm sure there's more....YIPPEE! :D ) anyone see that as a problem?

Corals will change color based upon the lighting. Also, when they are shrunken, they look darker because all of the "skin" is not stretched out.

If your featherduster can get enough food to eat, it could recover. Any crap that they catch that is too big to eat gets incorporated with mucus to make thier tube. I've never kept one, but I read that they need phyto to eat, so dosing DT's or some other invert preparation might be in order.

To a baby Pistol shrimp, a featherduster must look like a whale. They will probably move.

Thanx again Dingo....ur info have been invaluable ;)

With regards to the frogspawn....well, it hasn't actually darken but lighten instea....it's lookin a lot more translucent that when i first got it....it was a light shade of flourescent green when i got it...oh well, i'll just give it some time and see how it does....

a question on feeding.....do we target feed the corals and the duster or just dose into the tank? i bought this food called liquifry marine which is said to feed filter feeders, tube worms and planktonic eaters....would that help both my corals and the tube worm? will they get the food if i'm just dropping droplets into the tank that disperses once in the water?

thanx again....

I know nothing about the food you bought, so I can't give an opinion. You should probably search the boards for 'feeding tubeworms" or somesuch. The coral will not eat that, however. They eat small chunks of meaty food.

FWIW, I have never gotten my frogspawn to eat anything. Apparently, I haven't found what it likes. It is still healthy though. Others on the board also have frogspawns that they don't feed.

Archived