Pod Your Reef

Mounting a CPR on my 10g

darwin604

I'm looking into getting either the 12 or 18 inch cpr hob fuge. I think I'll probably be going with the 12 but I guess I could squeeze an 18 on there. Anyways, my main question is . . those of your with CPR HOB's on their nano's . . how did you mount it? I'm worried that a giant mass filled with water hanging off the back of my tank (especially if I get the 18 ) is gonna put a lot of stress on the tank. After all, these fuges were probably designed for larger tanks with beefier construction. Before I go buy this thing I want to make sure I have all the hardware I need to mount it (ie. supports for the bottom if necessary . . etc). Any pics would be great.

d.

I don't have a pic, but I set it behind my tank on a shelf, extended the return pipe with some plumbing from Home Depot, and then used a hose from the Power head to the intake.

Thanks for the info Brahm . . I was thinking of a similar system. I think I want to ditch the stock pipes (they're pretty big), and plumb it with some smaller tubes with a smaller powerhead. I'm a little restricted for space but I'll see what I can pull off.

So your saying hanging it on the back isnt a good idea?? It would be so easy to do . . but it seems a little large for such a small tank.

d.

ps. hows the fuge workin out as far as algae-related nutrient export? I've been having some major algae blooms in my tank lately so its primary purpose is to help with that . .

I was running a skimmer, and a AquaClear so I din't have room to mount it on the back of my tank, plus the fuge I was using is 24" long and was to long from intake to outtake to fit on my old setup. It was working pretty good on my old tank I rarely got algie blooms, can't say the same for my current setup, although I have been feeding very heavy in hopes to get my bangii's to breed. Another thing is when I bought it, the fuge was used and had a dsb so it was already very established so I have no idea how the effects will be on your tank although there is one thing I know for sure.. HOB fuge full of Macro algie = Pod City.. and pods are good.

Good stuff . . well, I'm gonna get the biggest fuge I can and bo-jang it onto my nano by any means necessary. I'm not trying to breed anything so my primary focus is just to keep the algae under control . . I'll post any success / problems I have when I get it set up.

d.

I've got the 12" model currently hanging on the back of an Eclipse 6 CRAMMED FULL of liverock. If the crappy plastic of an Eclipse is doing alright with the strain, I'm sure your 10 gal will be fine.

I got one from acryliccity on ebay cusotm made so that it is taller than my tank and it sits on the stand. It is pretty heavy, maybe you could put a piece of 2x4 or something under it to help support some of the weight.

Archived